News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Whyfree.php

Started by Ninja ZX-10RR, August 23, 2014, 05:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/whyfree.php

QuoteSome time ago one of the legends of Simple Machines was asked if a free program could stand it's ground against something that costs hundreds of dollars. The answer in short: for sure! But there's more to it then just those little words. So why is free better?
Please fix it...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

ARG01

What exactly should be fixed?
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Arantor

The word highlighted in bold and underlined.

The wrong kind of 'its'.

ARG01

I see. Truthfully I don't see why someone would waste their time fretting over something as simple as this but whatever.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Arantor

I think it's good that someone took the time to notice and draw attention to it. Attention to detail is kind of important.

ARG01

I learned a long time ago that while on the internet, proof reading another persons mistakes is the last thing that I need to worry about.  ;D

Arantor

Wise, very wise. That and needing flame-proof clothing everywhere you go ;D

ARG01

Right. In any case, good catch OP.  ;)

Irisado

Quote from: SimpMode on August 23, 2014, 08:31:02 PM
I see. Truthfully I don't see why someone would waste their time fretting over something as simple as this but whatever.  ;)

My role on in the Team is primarily spot English language mistakes, and I don't think that it's a waste of time.  Just so you know :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: SimpMode on August 23, 2014, 08:39:51 PM
Right. In any case, good catch OP.  ;)
Ty :)

Anyway it's still there >_< who has the permissions to edit that page? It's not on the manual nor the forum so... Admins only?
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Steve

I agree it's important as well. When putting out a product for general use, free or not, it should look professional. Misspellings and grammatical errors are glaring indicators that it's not.

Now if I'm reading a post or blog or whatever, I do speak typo ... and in the same breath I'll say I hate netspeak ... but I'm old school ... :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

Shambles

Quote from: Irisado on August 24, 2014, 05:06:05 AM
My role on in the Team is primarily (to) spot English language mistakes(,) and I don't think that it's a waste of time.  Just so you know.

Just a couple of grammatical errors there, so you know :P

NanoSector

Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 24, 2014, 07:52:41 AM
Anyway it's still there >_< who has the permissions to edit that page? It's not on the manual nor the forum so... Admins only?
Only people with server access. Which means 1 or 2 people on the team, no more.

Quote from: Steve on August 24, 2014, 09:32:35 AM
I agree it's important as well. When putting out a product for general use, free or not, it should look professional. Misspellings and grammatical errors are glaring indicators that it's not.

Now if I'm reading a post or blog or whatever, I do speak typo ... and in the same breath I'll say I hate netspeak ... but I'm old school ... :P
Everyone here is human. Most aren't even native English speakers.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

Considering the average level of the native speakers I know... the team is generally better at it anyway. ;)

Irisado

Quote from: Shambles on August 24, 2014, 09:36:19 AM

Oh, most likely there are.  That's what I get for posting too early in the morning ;).  Also, it's well known that proof reading your own work results in errors being missed, which is why it's better to ask someone else to do it when possible.

Note, however, that the comma you inserted into my sentence isn't necessary.  Comma usage before 'and' is becoming less and less frequent, although I still use it some of the time.

Apologies to Shambles, I misread his post and thought he added the comma.  No accusations were intended.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Shambles on August 24, 2014, 09:36:19 AM
Quote from: Irisado on August 24, 2014, 05:06:05 AM
My role on in the Team is primarily (to) spot English language mistakes(,) and I don't think that it's a waste of time.  Just so you know.

I deliberately shut up there even if I had noticed it XD

Quote from: NanoSector on August 24, 2014, 09:41:59 AM
Nope, they are more, strange that I know and you don't... They are more: CoreISP, SleePy, Motoko (青山 素子 - ), Oldiesmann and dschwab9. So they are 5 actually.

Quote from: NanoSector on August 24, 2014, 09:41:59 AM
Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 24, 2014, 07:52:41 AM

Quote from: Steve on August 24, 2014, 09:32:35 AM
Most aren't even native English speakers.
I agree - I'm Italian :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Shambles

Quote from: Irisado on August 24, 2014, 11:40:43 AM
Note, however, that the comma you inserted into my sentence isn't necessary.
I didn't insert it... you did. See your original post.

Arantor

Some of us, by which I include myself, add commas, often where not actually necessary, just for effect.

Shambles

... and yet others, myself specifically, get accused of adding commas where previously they didn't exist, when in fact they did exist.

Lol, as they say around the IoT

Arantor

There is a phrase that seems absolutely relevant to this phenomenon but it is not a phrase I can use in polite company. On other forums, it's absolutely rife, however >:D

Advertisement: