News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

CHROMEBOOK FAIL...

Started by Darrel3000, August 25, 2014, 05:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel3000

hELLO SMF community,
I just downloaded SNF to my Chromebook, however, it tells me that "this file type is not supported". does anypne know of a workaround or IS THERE AN ONLINE ONLY CLOUD BASED VERSION OF SMF THAT I CAN USE???
thanks-a-million,
darrel3000

Chalky

Hello and welcome!  I'm pleased you want to try SMF. As a forum software it is designed to be run on the Internet rather than on a local computer, so to get started you will need a domain and a hosting account. Have a read through the installation guide starting here http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Introduction_to_installing

If you want to try running SMF on your home computer before you commit to hosting/domain, you will need to download and install software that simulates a server environment, usually WAMP on Windows or Mamp on a Mac. I'm afraid I have no idea what you'd use on a Chromebook or even if its possible.

I suggest you have a read through the installation guides and maybe the hosting board to see what sort of hosting options are available, and ask if you have any specific questions  :)

Biology Forums

SMF is written in PHP and requires a database. To run it, you'll need to download a program like EasyPHP. What you've described is not a chromebook issue. Same thing would happen on a Mac.

Arantor

"Same thing would happen on a Mac"? Funny, I know several people that work on SMF mods from their Macs (in OS X mode), me included. Just as you need EasyPHP or WampServer or XAMPP to run it locally on Windows, so too would you need the equivalent on a Mac, e.g. MAMP.

But Chromebooks really don't run such things, and even if they did, they would be no good for running it publicly.

Advertisement: