News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Your session timed out while posting.

Started by Altronous, August 26, 2014, 01:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altronous

Hello SMF community,

I have inherited a forum to maintain and inherited some problems to resolve too. I apologise in advance but I do not have experience with setting up these kind of things so I ask in advance that you dumb down your answers as much as possible.

So the forum has an issue. When trying to post with characters !"£$%^&* in a post anywhere the following message is displayed.

Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
No subject was filled in.
The message body was left empty.

This isn't the only way to cause the error. Attempting to modify a post that contains an excessive amount of spaces. ie hello,                         how are you doing? Will also cause the error. Copy and pasting the text from the modify box into a new post will cause the error. Removing all the excessive spaces will allow the post to be published.

SMF 1.1.13
The error log shows nothing.

Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hi and welcome to SMF! :D

Your smf version is *EXTREMELY* out of date... First things first, please update at least to 1.1.19, if you want to do even better please update to 2.0.8 (even though you will need to reinstall all mods and themes, all updated if they exist).
If you want more informations about updates please check this page --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading ;)
Personally I would highly recommend you to upgrade to 2.0.8 as 1.1 is almost at the end of his life...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

Thanks Ninja,

I'll get back to you with any problems I encounter.  :P

Ninja ZX-10RR

You're welcome and for sure let us know how it goes :) I am not very expert in 1.1 but there are many users around that will help you anyway if you decide to stick with 1.1 ;)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

I've downloaded 2.0.8 zip and am making a back up now. Just have to gain access to the server which the forum resides on. I have no idea where it is. Can hopefully get that information from the previous admin and creator.

Altronous

LMAO.

First problem encountered. The back up. I assume i'm in the right place. Forum maintenance - Backup Database. Check all boxes and hit Download.

Got a 404 error. Not found.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Wait wait wait you can't just patch it with the smf 2.0 dude... Check the manual for the specific procedure --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup did you follow this one? :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

Yes I did. I did not have access to the server cPanel so i was trying to use SMF admin to make the backup.

I have asked for access to the cPanel.

Ninja ZX-10RR

That is way better ;) keep going when you get access you will be able to follow the whole procedure :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Mstcool

Quote from: Altronous on August 26, 2014, 03:24:00 AM
LMAO.

First problem encountered. The back up. I assume i'm in the right place. Forum maintenance - Backup Database. Check all boxes and hit Download.

Got a 404 error. Not found.

Don't use the backup that the forum provides. It's not recommended. Only use the one that phpmyadmin provides. :p

Altronous

Thanks for your help so far guys. I'm still waiting for log in details to the backend.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Omg, I thought you had sorted it out already... You're welcome but... Tell the previous admin to wake up? ;) so that you can solve those problems?

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

I have the info. Cpanel backup done. Upgrading time.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Finally :D let us know if you have problems in that ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

So ftp the unzipped files to the same location as the current files?

Do I replace old files with new?

Ninja ZX-10RR

This page  describes it way better than I could ;) --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing , the section about uploading stuff :) even if in this case you don't need to create a database if you want to import it.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

I'm upgrading, not installing so I already have a copy of all the old file in the target directory.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yes but since SMF 1 is *extremely* different from SMF 2.0.x it doesn't change that much that's why I linked that one.

If you check this page indeed (http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/) you won't see any package that will bring you from 1.1 to 2.0 because it simply cannot be done like that. You will have to wipe out all the files (excluding .htaccess and the database itself), then install smf 2.0.x (suggested 2.0.8 of course), import the older database and then install any modification and/or theme you may wish to add :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Altronous

I downloaded the large upgrade from this page.

http://download.simplemachines.org/

Is this the correct thing to use?

Illori

that is why we have http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading which upgrading will take you from 1.1 to 2.0 without any issues.

Altronous

404 - not found when I try to run the upgrade.php

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Illori on September 14, 2014, 02:14:06 PM
that is why we have http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading which upgrading will take you from 1.1 to 2.0 without any issues.
Yeah indeed when I first wrote reply #17 I linked that but thought again and edited it linking to that other page instead. This is for many reasons: first that it can be done either ways, second that doing such an upgrade is not so much different from a brand new installation since moving from 1.1 to 2.0.x wipes any mods and themes... And third... A brand new installation with a backed up and imported database *could* have avoided errors like the one above.

Back up everything and then wipe everything but the .htaccess and the db, then install smf 2.0.8? Importing the database after that shouldn't be really hard, it should be easy, actually :) just my 2 cents :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

you cant import the database from 1.1 into 2.0, you HAVE to run the upgrade.php script which is part of the upgrade package.

margarett

Quote from: Altronous on September 14, 2014, 02:46:08 PM
Is this still hapening? If so, you probably didn't upload tha package to the right place ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Illori on September 14, 2014, 06:17:27 PM
you cant import the database from 1.1 into 2.0, you HAVE to run the upgrade.php script which is part of the upgrade package.
Still, I have never ever seen this in the documentation... It will be me who missed it but I've never seen it. Could be useful since an administrator might have had an abandoned 1.1 and then decided to move to 2.0.x, wipes out all the data and he would be asked to reinstall 1.1, import the db, run the large upgrade, run that script to patch, upgrade to 2.0.x... That's not really awesome :/

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

that is why the upgrade page on the wiki tells you exactly what to do to upgrade from one version to another...

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yeah but I still think that warning users about it would be useful, if you consider that I didn't know it myself after a considerable amount of time here... I honestly don't think that a new user will know already :/ anyway sorry I don't want to go off-topic it was just to tell you since you are the Doc Coordinator :) it was just my opinion, I appreciate the explanation a lot though :)

Quote from: margarett on September 14, 2014, 06:18:43 PM
Quote from: Altronous on September 14, 2014, 02:46:08 PM
Is this still hapening? If so, you probably didn't upload tha package to the right place ;)
Up for this, not to miss it ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: