password not working

Started by ozm8ey, August 26, 2014, 06:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozm8ey

Hello I just tried to login to my smf website but my password doesn't work I even tried to reset it and it still didn't work, it just keeps on saying password is incorrect but its not

kat

Silly question: Have you got a backup to restore?

Arantor

Does it work the second time you try it?

Because I've noticed that recently too, haven't yet investigated as to why.

ozm8ey

I do have a backup but i dont want to restore the backup because it was ages ago also the mysql databaseis working fine so im pretty sure thats not the cause and I have tried it many times now no luck.

it makes no sense.

kat

If you restore the backup of the software, rather than the database, your posts, members, &c. won't be affected. All that'll be lost will be any mods that got installed, after the backup was taken.

a10

A little offtopic:
Quotedont want to restore the backup because it was ages ago
:o Strange how doing regular BU's is forgotten, postponed or neglected, in spite of a million recommendations.

The database, at the minimum a weekly backup, using several backup methods (phpmyadmin, mysqldumper, in addition to maybe using the forum's own backup function).

Some rely on the host magically saving the day, but without checking if any host-side backup is actually done or exists, and if it exists (and by chance works and is restorable) it may be completely outdated.

The forum files are backed up (and restored) using ftp or the host's control panel.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

ozm8ey

pbably a stupid question but how will i restore a backup without access to the admin panel on the forums? I could use ftp but i dont know which is just the software

ozm8ey

doesn't matter i fixed it i just deleted my account from the mysql database then created a new account and changed the membergroup id to 1

Mstcool

Quote from: ozm8ey on August 27, 2014, 09:33:41 PM
pbably a stupid question but how will i restore a backup without access to the admin panel on the forums? I could use ftp but i dont know which is just the software

Ftp can be accessed from your web host account area. Also can be accessed through an ftp software such as filezilla or any other one. But you still need to get the login details from your web host account. :P

Illori

Quote from: ozm8ey on August 27, 2014, 10:26:22 PM
doesn't matter i fixed it i just deleted my account from the mysql database then created a new account and changed the membergroup id to 1

that is a really bad idea and can cause other issues... hopefully it does not cause problems for you.

Advertisement: