Input field not high enough

Started by Frobisher, August 26, 2014, 05:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frobisher

Would like to know if anyone is aware of this.

First noticed this on my own Forum. So far I have observed two areas where I have seen this. The simplest way to show this is to look at this Forum with the header expanded. Up near the top and on the right is a Search field (an input box). If any character you enter into that field has a descender (such as, the letter 'g'), the descender is chopped because the box is not high enough. The other place I have noticed this is when looking at my profile when logged in to my own Forum. The Email address field has the same issue.

There may be other input boxes that I have not discovered yet that have the same issue.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Burke ♞ Knight

Looks fine to me.
It may be a browser issue, as they tend to control the looks of the fonts in the input boxes, I found.
What I see, is the full letter, even though it does seem a little small, and may appear that it is missing, but it really is there, just have to look closer to see it.

Frobisher

Good point. May I ask what browser you are using? I was observing this using FireFox.
I will look at this using Chrome and IE tomorrow as it is getting late here.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Frobisher

Decided to look at this tonight.

Chrome (36) - Not an issue. IE (11) - Not an issue.

For both the above the input box is higher then it is with Firefox (31). So it looks like FireFox is handling the input box height differently from the other two browsers.

Just added an image to show what it looks like in FireFox. The 'g' and 'j' are the most noticeable.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Burke ♞ Knight

Which version of FF?

I took the screenshot using FF 31

Deaks

to back up BK I am using FF latest build and works fine for me.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Frobisher

Thanks to you both.

Must research this further when I have the time. The issue is with FF (31) on two computers with different Operating Systems. Will let you know if I find out the cause.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Arantor

Considering this forum has a modified search field I would not trust what it does as reliable.

Frobisher

I'm back ::)

Been trying to troubleshoot this issue on and off today as I have had numerous distractions/interruptions. Manage to get the desired result, namely, see the descenders in the search input field. I consider the two methods employed as hacks because they had other, possibly undesirable affects, elsewhere.

Here is what I reasoned:

The search input field has a class of input_text but in the css file linked to in index.php, namely, index.css, we have.

/* Give disabled text input elements a different background color. */
input[disabled].input_text
{
background-color: #eee;
}

But this field is not disabled so the text_size for this field is being inherited from somewhere else. Thought it would be normaltext but it appears to be middletext.

I have edited index.css and added the following after the code above.

input.input_text
{
background-color: #fff;
font_size: 1.1em;
}

This gives me the desired result but I do not know if it will have an affect elsewhere.

If I am talking a load of rubbish, then I will hang my head in shame :-[

I found that using this Forum as a comparison is not valid because the css class being used for the search input field is different.

Apologies, I cut and pasted the second piece of code and forgot to edit out the [disabled]. Now correct :-[
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Frobisher

Would someone please confirm that I have or have not found something which is valid.

My modification also fixed the email address field when a User looks at their profile and there is a letter with a descender.

Thank you.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Burke ♞ Knight

Looks to me that this very well may be an issue.
I have just looked at a clean install, and notice the size issue there, too.

Frobisher

BurkeKnight, thanks for you reply. Unless my fix causes some unforeseen problem(s), it may be the general solution.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Arantor

I would be *extremely* surprised if it made it into a future 2.0.x patch.

Frobisher

I can live with that. My only concern was that what I have suggested is not a dumb solution.
If it helps anyone else that may see this issue and provide a solution, then that is all that matters to me.
As far as I am concerned this topic can be closed.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Advertisement: