News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

smf 2.0 non utf (Greek) and php 5.4 upgrade

Started by abraamz, August 28, 2014, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abraamz

Hi everybody
my host says that they will be upgrading from 5.3 to PHP 5.4. They say that" safe_mode, magic_quotes, register_globals, register_long_arrays and call-time pass by reference wont be supported anymore".
The forum goes a lot of years back. We have a big database and it has been through a lot of upgrading following the evolution of smf, hosting changes etc.

Is it likely to have any problems with that?
What to do to make sure everything is ok with the forum?
thank you

Arantor

safe_mode isn't a problem. It being gone is an advantage.

magic_quotes isn't a problem. SMF has long since worked around whether magic quotes was on or off, and it being permanently off makes no difference.

register_globals isn't a problem. The one place it might have made a difference before has long since been patched.

call-time pass by reference is only an issue with badly written mods that use hooks. Some of Nibogo's mods fall into this category as does the Fake Users and Guests Online mod. Others may too - but they are mod issues, not anything else.

SMF 2.0.8 will work fine on PHP 5.4 and 5.5 in all other respects.

abraamz

Thanks for the reply!
Quote from: ♥ on August 28, 2014, 10:49:35 AM

call-time pass by reference is only an issue with badly written mods that use hooks. Some of Nibogo's mods fall into this category as does the Fake Users and Guests Online mod. Others may too - but they are mod issues, not anything else.

I have installed more than 10 mods and I might have mods with problems. Is there a search string that I can use to search through my backup files for mods that might cause trouble with this or other similar resources?

Arantor

Nope. If you can tell me what mods you have, maybe I can take a look. There's not something you can easily search for.

Advertisement: