News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Not Sure This Is A Bug But ......

Started by Maxie2019, August 29, 2014, 06:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxie2019

Hi All,

We 'think' something odd occurred last night. I needed to ban a particular member and on the ban triggers page, there was a huge list of IP's associated with his posts. To make sure he couldn't sign back on, I applied triggers to each of the IP's. This morning another member complained about being banned and when I checked their IP, both members were associated with that IP. Is there anyway that this could be a glitch or MUST both members have used that IP?

Cheers, hope the above makes sense  :)

Carolne :)

Burke ♞ Knight

There are plenty of times when multiple users may use the same IP.
That is why it is not recommended to ban the IP.

Maxie2019

Quote from: BurkeKnight on August 29, 2014, 06:44:59 AM
There are plenty of times when multiple users may use the same IP.
That is why it is not recommended to ban the IP.

OK but how can they be using the same IP? Sorry, I just need to understand why so I can explain to the other mods.

Burke ♞ Knight

They could be located in same area, using the same ISP.

Kindred

Banning by IP is a bad idea, as stated.

people can indeed be seen as using the same IP because
a) they are using a proxy service
b) they are in the same geographical area with a service that uses dynamic IPs
c) they are using anISP that uses dynamic IPs within a block of addresses

even asdie from that - banning by IP is actually mostly useless since there are 18 dozen ways to change your IP and thus avoid the ban
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Plus, banning using the built-in IP ban system is an even worse idea since if you do that multiple times it will inevitably slow your forum down a lot... Reading this might help? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524146.0 :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Maxie2019

Cheers all and I will read the link Ninja - but just to add, the members concerned don't live in the same geographical area - one in Sheffield and one in London.

Kindred

doesn't matter - if they use the same ISP, they could overlap IPs
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yw :) I will update it later since I really have to say something about Cloudflare as if you use Cloudflare that will not work without some edits that I discovered recently with a *lot* of headaches and also thanks to a former Dev :)

EDIT: updated that topic a few hours ago with Cloudflare-related strings.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: