News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Can a logo be positioned between the avatar and news?

Started by Welovea1, August 29, 2014, 09:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welovea1

Is there anyway that our custom graphic can be placed to the right of the avatar rather than at the top of the header so that it doesn't take up so much real estate and doesn't cover the underlying blue of the default theme? If that isn't possible how do I position our banner so that it sits under the darker blue of the default theme without pushing everything down?  The only thing I've managed to achieve is proportional scaling but that doesn't change the position.   It should be evident that I have no experience modifying themes.  I also would be willing to pay for assistance.  Thanks in advance.

Deaks

can you show a screenshot so I can get idea of dimensions :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Welovea1

Thanks for answering.  I'll up a screenshot as soon as I get home from work.

Welovea1

Deaks

Ahh then yes its quite easy, ill look at code and post it when I wake up :)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

ARG01

I am sure that it will require either a set wrapper width or at least a minimum setting.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Welovea1

I like'd the "quite easy" answer better! 

Quote from: SimpMode on August 29, 2014, 09:46:46 PM
I am sure that it will require either a set wrapper width or at least a minimum setting.

Deaks

ive done it a few times playing around and never liked it much lol just need to remember what I did :D
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Welovea1

I have the feeling this won't be easy but am hoping you two can figure it out.

Many thanks!

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Antechinus

Nope. You could do it by having the banner scale to width. ;) Obviously it will get tiny at some point, but at least it wont break.

ARG01

Quote from: Antechinus on August 30, 2014, 05:32:21 PM

Nope. You could do it by having the banner scale to width. ;) Obviously it will get tiny at some point, but at least it wont break.

I understand this but it really depends on what the banner is for. Some paying advertisers demand that a 468x60 banner is used. It sort of defeats the purpose for the advertiser if the banner is allowed to scale to a smaller size. I found that out the hard way when I had Adobe as paid advertiser.  They were very adamant about the banner being 468x60.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Welovea1

If I said 85% to 90% of the available space between the avatar (and unread posts) and the search field. would that be sufficient.?

Quote from: Μπράιαν on August 30, 2014, 11:41:21 AM
Can I ask the dimensions of your logo please

Deaks

not really, if its a logo then a working size be helpful
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Welovea1

Welovea1

According to my photoshop consultant it depends on the screen size. On his 1366 laptop it is 800 pixels wide but if he is looking on his phone it will be 100 pixels wide.  I know the logo can be scaled according to the device.  I really want to give you the information you need to help but I'm flying blind here. Can you tell from the screenshot of the banner? 

ARG01

Quote from: Welovea1 on August 30, 2014, 08:54:49 PM
...Can you tell from the screenshot of the banner?

It appears to be about 778px X 107px including the border. Otherwise, 774px X 103px with a 2px border.

Welovea1

Let me confirm that with my consultant and I'll get back to you tomorrow.  Many thanks for your patience!

Quote from: SimpMode on August 30, 2014, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: Welovea1 on August 30, 2014, 08:54:49 PM
...Can you tell from the screenshot of the banner?

It appears to be about 778px X 107px including the border. Without the border, 774px X 103px.

Welovea1

My PS person's wants to know if there is a definitive reason for needing a fixed size, rather than a %ge of available space?  I probably should have made it clear that this is not going to be an advertisement that needs an absolute size but just a banner for a book club that needs to take up the available space between the avatar and search. 

Deaks

well im using a small image atm  that works fine, but a larger one causes issues, if I have exact dimensions that I can sort it easier.  But if thats not possible ill give what I have and you guys can do the rest ... if it screws your site up then wont be my issue.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Advertisement: