News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

.jpg attachments display upside down.

Started by ApplianceJunk, August 29, 2014, 04:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApplianceJunk

If you look at the attachments in this post you will see they are upside down.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=15233.msg80121#msg80121

Yet when you download the attachment to your computer and view it all is right side up again.

Why would that be?

I have not changed anything with our forum for a long time.

margarett

It has to be something related to the thumbs creation.
That's really odd...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

ApplianceJunk

Don't know if they took them on a phone or not. That would make a difference?
I have posted photos with my phone as I know others have with and without using tapatalk and never seen this happen before now.

Arantor

Yes it would.

You see, rotation of the phone is factored in when taking a picture. The full size picture will be auto rotated by the browser, but the thumbnail will not take that rotation into account.

Known issue. Fixing it is... interesting.

Kindred

same thing happens for the thumbnail generator I use on Windows... :)

it's not strange... or even unusual... but it can be annoying.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Doesn't mean it's desirable, however.

Once I've got the code figured out for LevGal (since I have the same problem) I will see about backporting it to SMF attachments as a mod.

a10

Have also come across a few of those upside-down phone shots. Am sometimes editing posts and fixing them (download attachment, rotate, re-upload).

And funnily, the thumbnails in the post mentioned by OP are 100% correct, resulting from upside down (exif 180°) pictures, it's when loading full size in the browser that they display 'wrongly'  ;)

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

jonesH

As I mentioned in other posts, I've always had this problem when posting from iOS. My best temp fix was to edit the images on the device (force to rotate until the desired position, then save) and post only after that. This, while a bit cumbersome, gave me 100% good results.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Arantor on August 29, 2014, 06:34:51 PM
Doesn't mean it's desirable, however.

Once I've got the code figured out for LevGal (since I have the same problem) I will see about backporting it to SMF attachments as a mod.
I have seen this topic linked in another one and... What about making it a default feature if you can make it? (I bet my account that you can ;) ) It's nothing more than a bug fix.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

I doubt it will become a default feature as a 2.0 patch. Given the way things are going I don't see it being a feature in 2.1 either, it's simply not quite that simple.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I don't get it. If you can make it and can make a mod for it then why wouldn't it become a default feature? It would be great...
Ok, maybe (well you can even ignore the "maybe") the 2.1 will be coded differently but... It would be good to have it for both versions...
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

1. 2.0 is feature locked. It gets primarily security fixes. Even getting non-security bug fixes is a new thing. This is somewhere between being a bug and a feature. Incredibly low priority.

2. 2.1 is nearly feature locked. Smaller things have been turned away in the last couple of days than this would be, in the run up to a beta.

3. The quickest way of doing it is using an external library that most hosts don't have installed. Such a requirement automatically gets ruled out for a core feature.

4. Even if I do get it together with a library that doesn't have that problem - and that's absolutely no small job, I will likely have to write it myself - that's still a non-trivial change for the core.

5. Even if I do somehow manage to make all of the above happen, I end up with a non-trivial amount of work having been done that I then need to consider giving away for free. I said I'd see about it, depends how complicated it is, since I'd have to do it anyway for my own stuff. Right now the solution I'm working on is totally, completely and in all other ways UNSUITABLE for core SMF since it relies on components that are legally impossible to add in core SMF (seeing how they're GPL, which is incompatible with BSD in the sense SMF would need; I have an OEM licence that I've paid for but I cannot just drop that into SMF's repository without violating the licence agreement)

The world really is not as simple as you might like to believe, unfortunately.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Completely understood. Thank you for the explanation I think it was due for this topic, I might link it if I ever see another question regarding the same issue.
I would say do it in the simple way and if hosts have those libraries then good otherwise it's a small bug that doesn't really affect SMF's functionalities so... I'd say focus on your stuff, I will focus on mine, my Sunday will be *OMG* busy, about an hour will be dedicated to you as well, it will be the first real hour in which I will be able to focus on something (alone, back at home after coming back from my gf's).
Good to know anyway, no more questions :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: