News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to give users the option to upload images from computer

Started by suresh1983, August 29, 2014, 05:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suresh1983

Hi,

Can you please guide me on how to give users the option to upload images from their computer/desktop/laptop.

Using the img tag is not much user friendly and most of the users are facing it difficult.

Kindred

Well, you could use attachments...

Or you could install a gallery mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

I've always found it odd, that adding attachments isn't a bit more... obvious. It's kinda hidden away, suresh.

When you make a reply (NOT a quick reply, unless you install a mod), you'll need to click on "Attachments and other options", to open the part where you actually attach the files.

I think it'd be best if that was open, by default, myself... :)

Kindred

I disagree... But, if you want it open, I believe that you can set it to be so in your board user settings.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

It's a theme setting - 'Enable collapsible additional post options'.  I have it disabled on my boards, otherwise users can't find attachment upload.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

a10

^^^ got 'Enable collapsible additional post options' disabled as well, one less possible confusion for the less experimental (less awake) members :O)

For the op, to get some things out of the way:
Admin > Current Theme >  Enable collapsible additional post options (at the very bottom, untick). If ticked, members must click "+ Attachments and other options" under the post's text area to get to the attachment dept.

Then be sure about attachments being enabled:
Admin > Attachments and Avatars > Attachment Settings > Attachments mode: choose Enable all attachments.

Set any desired attachment rules.

Now any new post will (hopefully) show Attach, Browse, more attachments etc (see attached picture). Click browse, navigate to the picture on the computer, click open, click post (or save if it's an edited post).

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: