News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to allow user to create boards in one category only

Started by intatrust, August 29, 2014, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intatrust

Hello,
How do i set the permissions so a user can create his own boards in a category assigned to him. As it is if i allow him to create boards he can then see all categories and boards.

please help i can't believe this has not been thought of.

Arantor

As I told you in your other topic, there is no way to configure SMF to offer this.

It has been thought of. The problem is there are way too many edge cases that it creates, too many ways for it to get broken, which is why it isn't done.

As I asked you last time, what are you hoping to achieve? Somewhere users can make blogs? (If so there are better options than that)

intatrust

thank you I didn't see your reply.
I want to split the work of creating boards. I am creating a board for each client and the numbers are starting to add up. I have 50 boards a week to set up. Perhaps there is an easier way to add multiple boards. also please say there is no limit to the number of board the forum can hold. I might need to add 5000.

one of the things that takes time is to deselect the member groups and then select one member group per board. could bearranged withall member groups deselected in the first place ?

Arantor

There is an internal limit of 65535 boards but every creation, even if deleted, counts towards that limit.

There are other considerations with adding 5000 boards, namely concerning the problems it will cause in performance.

I would really wonder what the user case is for this; I can't imagine a situation where this would be close to being the best way to solve your problem but I don't know what your situation is. All I know is what you think you have to do to solve it... and it may be that trying to use a forum is the wrong answer.

Kindred

To be even more clear...

Perhaps you can explain to us why you think you need to have ken board for each client?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

intatrust

Hi and thank you for your assistance.
I am providing a confidential depository of information that the client and adviser can share. We have 50 advisers now each with their own category. Each client has its own board under their adviser. A member group of himself and the adviser/personal assistant is also created.

Arantor

Kindred

I will go one step further and declare that a forum IS NOT the correct tool
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: