News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Re-attribute a single post to a different user?

Started by Jesse17, August 29, 2014, 11:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse17

Which version of SMF you're using: 2.0.7
A link to your forum: www.pistoltalk.org [nofollow]
Any errors from your error log that may be related: n/a
A detailed description of the problem:

I inherited a SMF forum, and the previous owner had an Admin account as well as a account with a different username, but he often posted non-forum related stuff from the Admin account.

Is there  a way to re-attribute those individual posts to his personal account and retain the posts related to the forum under the Admin account?

I've been Googling it but all I can find are mods that will merge all the posts from one account to another.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Wow sticking to the guidelines at the maximum! Nice :D it is indeed very clear :)
Sure that there is: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2507 fully compatible with SMF 2.0.8 :D
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

No need for that mod...   Reattribute posts is a standard feature....

Under admin, maintenance....

Btw, you should upgrade to 2.0.8, Jesse.....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on August 30, 2014, 06:57:51 AM

but that would include all posts only if the user was deleted, not some posts if the user still exists.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Erh... No. I tried to uninstall it and there is not an option by default to re-attribute single posts and topics... That mod does instead.
This is what the mod adds --> http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=download;mod=2507;id=228287;image

Quote from: Illori on August 30, 2014, 08:23:58 AM
Quote from: Kindred on August 30, 2014, 06:57:51 AM

but that would include all posts only if the user was deleted, not some posts if the user still exists.
Indeed.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

actually, with the default, you can reattribute all posts from any user  - deleted or not - to any other user

but you are correct that it will not allow re-attribution of individual posts...  all or nothing.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

actually the admin function clearly says "Attribute guest posts made with" so the user can not be a registered user to use the function.

Arantor

Actually, the code doesn't care.

It doesn't check that the user is actually a guest. It just looks at the poster_name or poster_email stored in the messages table and reattributes those.

reattributePosts() in Subs-Members.php. In particular, lines 1154 onwards where it builds $query_parts using only poster_mail or poster_name then updates that in the query on line 1162.

Kindred

exactly...    regardless of what it might be labelled, it doesn't care about guest or user - it will re attribute posts.
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on August 30, 2014, 02:25:34 PM
exactly...    regardless of what it might be labelled, it doesn't care about guest or user - it will re attribute posts.

then we should fix the text or the way the it works.

Kindred

obviously the text.  why would we remove that useful functionality?
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on August 30, 2014, 03:17:23 PM
obviously the text.  why would we remove that useful functionality?

given the text i doubt many know it can do more then what it says. i dont really see the need to remove the posts from a valid member and give them to someone else.

Arantor

Other than, say, the case like in the OP. Which happens more than you might think.

Illori

Kindred

it is completely appropriate.

user logs in - makes posts.
forgets password
logs in as a new user, makes posts...

want to combine user posts/accounts... 
ta-da!
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

you can also delete the dup user or the old and combine the posts to one account.

Jesse17

Sorry for the delay in checking this thread. So, it looks like I will need to use the mod in Ninja's post in order pick and choose which posts to reattribute and which to leave in the original Admin account? Is that correct?

Also, I will get on that 2.08 upgrade shortly... Will I have to reinstall mods or anything else, after the upgrade, or will they not be affected?

Thanks for the help!

Arantor

You shouldn't generally have to reinstall mods; the 2.0.8 upgrade should be able to be completed like any other mod install :) At least if you follow the link in the admin panel...

Ninja ZX-10RR

*except if you have the Allocate more RAM mod (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3848) installed. If so, uninstall it before upgrading and don't install it again since it is included in the upgrade, that's why you will have to uninstall it since the upgrade wouldn't patch correctly as it would find the code already edited. So... Uninstall it if you have it, upgrade and delete the mod ;)
Otherwise like ⬔ said you won't have to reinstall anything in general :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: