Previous topic - Next topic

Ron G4GWC

Can anyone explain how to add img or photo to a post or reply
this simple task has me foxed!
regards

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ron G4GWC

Thank you but I have tried  that and variations of the same
derive address from local computer?
I have copied and pasted your example with out success.
I have done the same in this reply?
Is there a setting that must be initialised?
Any text shows in the post but no image
any further guidance would be very welcome
regards

Ron

Sir Osis of Liver

Like this -

[img]http://www.domain.com/pics/image.jpg[/img]

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

The image has to be somewhere on the net, not your local computer.  You can upload a pic directly from your computer using attachment feature in reply editor.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ron G4GWC

getting a image placeholder Icon OK not a real address but
the Wikipedia url was a real address,   yes the example given was a real url  and did not work
I have used real addresses via the attachments browser local computer nothing
seems to work?
regards
Ron

Ron G4GWC

Sounds like I need to find out how to use the attachments feature,
The average forum member is not going to find that easy, I have played with it for a while
usually ending with an error "entry already posted" or similar, not managed to attach an item yet?
is there a published - add a photo to a post - procedure that a forum member could use?
Regards

Ron G4GWC

Latest error on trying to attach! - cannot access attachments upload path! -
does this help explain the problem?
Regards

Ron

Antechinus

Are you trying to upload to this site or to another site?

Oh, and what device are you using? Desktop? Phone?

Ron G4GWC

trying to upload to a smf forum on my site, via a desktop
as admin but no user has been able to upload attachments
regards
Ron

Kindred

1- the img bbc is really the easiest.

put an image on the net, somewhere ---  any of the free image hosting sites works
then put the url to the image in the img bbc tags

2- for attachments, you may need to make sure that the usergroups for those users have the permission to put attachments on your forum
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ron G4GWC

I am getting the Idea, I will need to explain that to every member before the can post with a picture
I don't think that will encourage participation,
The system deals with avatars on the members computer, seems that were just afraid of straining the data/base server resources,
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, guess my members are just stuck with words.

I will investigate using attachments before I suggest members use Twitter, pity!

Kindred

you can not post images directly from the user's computer using img tags.

you can use attachments.
you can use one of the gallery mods
you can upload an avatar image from tthe user's computer to the server for use as an avatar  -- hat is not related to img bbc or attachments, that is a completely different function.
Слaва
Украинi

Ron G4GWC

I get it posting with a picture is very difficult for SMF Forum members, and really not a feature of SMF 2.08
I don't want a separate Gallery that is to be a feature of the host site.
Seems to me a simple img post from users computers would have been useful to illustrate a post. !

Cheers

Kindred

why do you keep saying that posting a picture is difficult? It is not.
I don't think you are actually reading what we are saying.

As for "posting an image from a user's computer"
That's what attachments do.

there is also a mod called "inline attachments" which allows your users to show the attachments inline to the post rather than at the end.

There is also one gallery mod that allows for immediate upload and inclusion from inside the post screen
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Quote from: Ron G4GWC on August 30, 2014, 05:41:59 PM
Latest error on trying to attach! - cannot access attachments upload path!

To me, that suggests that the path to your attachments directory is wrong.

If you go to Admin>Forum>Attachments and avatars>Attachments directory, you can see what the path is.

Usually, it's something like /home/something/public_html/attachments

a10

It is very easy. Got many computer-non-literate members on my forum, they all figure it out quickly (only thing I sometimes have to help with is resizing of pictures before upload, as there's a max file size set, to avoid upload of pictures that "looks small on my computer screen" but are 16MB and 9 x 6 Meters big :O)

See if my post in http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=526998.0 can be useful.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: