News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Disallow member group to create threads

Started by PraveerD, August 31, 2014, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PraveerD

Hello all,

Tried many forum softwares but ultimately came back to smf. I just love this forum script.

Well I am starting a new forum. Using smf for it. I want to limit member groups thread making capabilities in the Announcement section of my forum. I want only admins and global moderators to create thread in the section but not other member groups. But I want them to be able to make replies to the thread posted there. I tried many things but cannot achieve this. Tried searching for a solution here but can't find any. I have removed the option from permission profile for member group to create thread in the section but still option for creating the thread exists. Any help from the community will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading my thread.

Praveer

Deaks

go to Admin - Boards - Modify Boards

Find the board you want to alter permissions on click modify and select  Permission Profile: to Reply Only
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Illori

Quote from: Μπράιαν on August 31, 2014, 12:53:58 PM

Find the board you want to alter permissions on click modify and select  Permission Profile: to Reply Only

that would not allow the global moderators to create topics in that board as well.

you need to create a new permission profile with the permissions you want granted in that board and assign it to the board.

Deaks

or edit the existing profile ...

You can create or add a new profile in Admin - Permissions - Profiles (if memory is right)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

PraveerD

Quote from: Μπράιαν on August 31, 2014, 01:03:17 PM
or edit the existing profile ...

You can create or add a new profile in Admin - Permissions - Profiles (if memory is right)

Quote from: Illori on August 31, 2014, 01:00:34 PM
Quote from: Μπράιαν on August 31, 2014, 12:53:58 PM

that would not allow the global moderators to create topics in that board as well.

you need to create a new permission profile with the permissions you want granted in that board and assign it to the board.

Thank you both for replying. Well I did create a new profile and set the appropriate permissions for groups that I don't want to create threads in that board but can post reply. But still I can see the option of create new thread.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

PraveerD

Quote from: Μπράιαν on August 31, 2014, 08:54:32 PM
what have you set exactly?

I have created a new profile by name of official. In this profile, for regular members I have disallowed "post new topics"  and "post replies to topics they started" and allowed "post replies to any topic" and I have applied this profile to Announcement board.

This is what I have set.

Thank you

br360

Quote from: praveer_dixit on August 31, 2014, 08:46:28 PM
Thank you both for replying. Well I did create a new profile and set the appropriate permissions for groups that I don't want to create threads in that board but can post reply. But still I can see the option of create new thread.

If you are testing it using your admin account, then yes- the new thread button would still be there for you. Try logging in with a regular member account to make sure that button isn't there.

PraveerD

Quote from: br360 on September 01, 2014, 12:05:08 AM
Quote from: praveer_dixit on August 31, 2014, 08:46:28 PM

If you are testing it using your admin account, then yes- the new thread button would still be there for you. Try logging in with a regular member account to make sure that button isn't there.

Sorry. Forgot to mention that I created a test user and by logging into the test account I am checking.

Thanks

br360

Ah Ok. It's been a while but I just tried doing what you were looking for, and was able to get the desired results. I first went to Admin>>Permissions>>Board Permisions.

I then clicked the default link to the right of the board I wanted to modify. (keeping it at default) Then a list of all of my member groups appear. I then clicked on all the groups I wanted to take the "new topic" button away from so they could only see the reply button when they opened a thread- and were not able to start their own thread in that specific board- and it worked.

They were still able to start new topics in every other board- but were not able to in the one board I went into board permissions and changed.

PraveerD

Quote from: br360 on September 01, 2014, 01:07:20 AM
Ah Ok. It's been a while but I just tried doing what you were looking for, and was able to get the desired results. I first went to Admin>>Permissions>>Board Permisions.

I then clicked the default link to the right of the board I wanted to modify. (keeping it at default) Then a list of all of my member groups appear. I then clicked on all the groups I wanted to take the "new topic" button away from so they could only see the reply button when they opened a thread- and were not able to start their own thread in that specific board- and it worked.

They were still able to start new topics in every other board- but were not able to in the one board I went into board permissions and changed.

Thank you.

Well at last I achieved what I wanted by changing permission from disallow to deny. But isn't the disallow do the same thing as deny?

Don't know why I achieved what I wanted by using deny and not disallow.

Thanks all for helping.

Kindred

SMF's permissions system is INCLUSIVE --

this means that if *ANY* membergroup gives a user a permission (ALLOW) , that user will have the permissions to do the action, regardless of what any other membergroup may DISALLOW.

The exception to this is DENY. DENY is EXCLUSIVE --

this means that is *ANY* membergroup DENY's a permission, that user will never be able to perform that action, regardless of what any other membergroup may ALLOW.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PraveerD

Quote from: Kindred on September 01, 2014, 06:57:21 AM
SMF's permissions system is INCLUSIVE --

this means that if *ANY* membergroup gives a user a permission (ALLOW) , that user will have the permissions to do the action, regardless of what any other membergroup may DISALLOW.

The exception to this is DENY. DENY is EXCLUSIVE --

this means that is *ANY* membergroup DENY's a permission, that user will never be able to perform that action, regardless of what any other membergroup may ALLOW.

Thanks but isn't this applicable in the case that a user is a member of two user groups in which one is allowing a specific function and the other disallowing it. In that case deny will work. I think i read it in the smf docs.

Maybe I am wrong.

Thank you

Kindred

yes. in that case - deny will work.

You just need to be careful about using deny, since it is exclusive and can lead to eventual confusion as to why someone can't do something (as opposed to why they can...lol)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PraveerD

Quote from: Kindred on September 01, 2014, 09:41:33 AM
yes. in that case - deny will work.

You just need to be careful about using deny, since it is exclusive and can lead to eventual confusion as to why someone can't do something (as opposed to why they can...lol)

Haha yeah.

Thanks for clarifying. Truly I love smf. Tried many forum softwares but keep coming back to smf.

Thanks to all the smf team for providing such a great script for free.

Praveer

Advertisement: