SMF displaying only text when accessed by domain name

Started by altiris, August 31, 2014, 01:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altiris

This is a fresh install of the latest SMF. I'd prefer not to give out my domain name and ip address (I am paranoid) unless I really have to. Basically, if I accesss smf by doing myiphere/smf on Firefox, SMF loads as it should. If I put mydomainnamehere.com/smf [nofollow] then SMF loads only text, no banner or images as it should. Why does this happen? Something with my dns?

Deaks

define only text please, can you take a screenshot if possible
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

it does that because you can't do what you are asking.

CSS files get loaded by SMF based on the DOMAIN....

So, you have  myiphere/smf configured as SMF's domain  -- which means that the system expects all access to come from there. period.

If you access from a different domain, then the system can not find the correct css, javascript or other files...
You would have to set up an htaccess file to automatically bounce anyone accessing from the second domain to bounce to the correct domain.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

altiris

Quote from: Μπράιαν on August 31, 2014, 01:56:02 PM
define only text please, can you take a screenshot if possible
Thanks for the fast reply, I have two images attached.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

altiris

Quote from: Kindred on August 31, 2014, 02:03:33 PM
it does that because you can't do what you are asking.

CSS files get loaded by SMF based on the DOMAIN....

So, you have  myiphere/smf configured as SMF's domain  -- which means that the system expects all access to come from there. period.

If you access from a different domain, then the system can not find the correct css, javascript or other files...
You would have to set up an htaccess file to automatically bounce anyone accessing from the second domain to bounce to the correct domain.
Hmm, so when I was doing the installation I put my ip address instead of my domain name? If so, rather than creating a htaccess file and rerouting or "bouncing" anyone that tries to access by the domain name (I do not know how to do such a thing), I could just re-do the installation process.

Kindred

What Illori means is - change the settings of your system to use the actual domain name instead of the ip....
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

to expand on Kindreds point people are more likley to visit your domain not your IP, so you need to use the domains paths their is a whole technical reason behind it but for simple terms domain is whats needed for your site not your ip :D
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

altiris

Thank you guys for your help. I have downloaded repair_settings.php and placed it in my directory where smf is located and have accessed it in the web browser. When I go under "Paths and URLs" I noticed that for "Forum URL" I have the domain name rather than the IP. However, it says that IP is recommended. I click the button to change all of the paths to use the IP over the domain name and it is working :D

Thanks!

Advertisement: