403 error when installing updating from 2.0.8 to 2.0.8

Started by Jesse17, August 31, 2014, 09:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse17

Which version of SMF you're using: 2.0.7
A link to your forum: www.pistoltalk.org [nofollow]
Any errors from your error log that may be related: n/a
A detailed description of the problem:

I'm trying to update my forum from 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 via the link in the package manager but as soon as I click on it I get a 403 error page. I looked around and it appears that my folders are set to chmod: 755 and files to 644 (that's what the 403 page recommended). Can you tell me if there are specific files I should be checking, or what else could cause this?

Thanks in advance!!!

JBlaze

Using the Package Manager should not result in a 403 - Forbidden error. Also, since the folders and files are 755 and 644 respectively, this would not generate a 403 - Forbidden error either, unless your server has some very wonky setup. The built-in FTP feature in SMF should be able to properly CHMOD these folders and files before attempting to modify them, provided that SMF is given the proper credentials for an FTP account that also has the proper FTP permissions.

Check your server error log and let us know if there's any errors relating to this, or you can attach your error log and we'll have a look.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Jesse17

My error log is blank.  ??? I tried typing in a file name that doesn't exist in my browser, which generated a 404 error, and that showed up in the error log. But, when I click the link in the package manager to update to 2.0.8, I get the 403 error page, but nothing appears in the error log.

Kindred

any time I see a  403 error these days, I tend to assume it is related to that piece of junk called mod_security.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jesse17

Update: I downloaded the update file from the smf site and uploaded to my server with the package manager. Then installed it like any other mod. The install was successful. I'm not sure what the issue was trying to use the link in the notification, but I guess I don't care anymore.

Thanks gang for your time.

Kindred

ah...  yes, I believe that was mod_security kicking in - preventing you from downloading directly from another site...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: