News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

No notifications being sent

Started by Interested bystander, September 01, 2014, 09:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interested bystander

Hopefully someone can give me an idea how to proceed to fix this.   A little over a week ago my webhost moved my website to a new server.   They changed most settings I needed for the forum to work and helped me change a couple of directory settings to find things such as the default theme.  The only thing I'm still having issues with are e-mail notifications.   

At the time the site was moved all notifications (PM, moderator reports, etc.) stopped working.   Any ideas on what could be wrong?   Is there a path or setting I need to double check?  Is this something that interfaces with applications on my server that I will need to be able to point my webhost to for help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.

Kindred

Themes, attachments, avatars... These are all directory specific.

Notifications are mail system things.
Did the email address or email configuration also change with the move?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Interested bystander

Not that I'm aware of but it's possible.   What would I ask my webhost to find out?    I'm not a computer guy just someone who runs an easy forum (one reason I picked this one) so a group of people can communicate.  I don't normally use my webhost's e-mail servers so I don't know how the forum interacts with them.

Kindred

The forum uses the webmaster email address, as set in the admin settings and the mail system, either php mail or SMTP mail, as set in the admin, mail settings.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Interested bystander

So it e-mails the user from the webmaster account using the host mail servers?   From this I would guess that I need to test the webmaster address and make sure the webhost didn't change the address of their outgoing server.   Is that correct?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Interested bystander

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this but I don't have much time to work on my website, usually only one day per week.   I e-mailed my webhost about their e-mail settings after the server move and this is the response I got.

Dear Customer,

If email sent from your website is not received it may be being rejected by our mail system.

Make sure your script is sending email address with the configured sender being an email address you have configured on your hosting account. The script may be using SMTP, the PHP mail() function, or sendmail (/usr/sbin/sendmail) for example. (Additionally, if your script is talking SMTP natively instead of using one of the other methods you will be required to authenticated using SMTP AUTH, please consult the documentation on the script for information on how to do this.)

If you cannot configure the sender specifically in your script then the system will use the default address of [email protected] where yourdomain.tld is the domain name of the web site which is sending the email. If that is the case then you will need to create this email address on the account by clicking on the Email Accounts icon under the Email Management section of your Account Manager.

Ok, this might as well be written in Greek as far as I'm concerned.   How does the script interact with the server to send mail?   Is there a place in the software where I can change a setting based on my webhosts response?   If so what would the change entail?   If these settings aren't part of the software what would I change in the e-mail settings on my hosting account?

Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

PS: I do have the webmaster e-mail account configured in the host account.

Advertisement: