E-mail from-user - to-user adds webmaster address as sender

Started by BeautifulBoy, September 01, 2014, 11:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeautifulBoy

Today I discovered a strange phenomenon on my SMF 2.0.8 forum. I'll try to describe it with an example:

Let's say that there are two forum members on myforum.com [nofollow]:

- User1 with e-mail address [email protected]
- User2 with e-mail address [email protected]

and my webmaster e-mail address is [email protected]

Now, what happens is this:

User1 wants to send an e-mail message to User2, so he clicks on the envelope icon in the profile of User2.
SMF shows a page where E-mail Subject, and the Message itself can be filled in.
After clicking "Send", the e-mail message is sent to User2 correctly. He receives it in his [email protected] account.

But the sender of the e-mail appears as: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Now, User2 wants to reply to User1, and does so from within Hotmail/Outlook.com. This means that the reply will be sent to:
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>

which effectively means that I, the webmaster of the forum, receive the reply, and [email protected] receives nothing!

Questions:

- Is this standard SMF 2.x forum behaviour in the case of hotmail.com [nofollow] user addresses?
- Is it a bug?
- Is there a work-around?

Kind regards,
D.

Kindred

This is correct behavior.

This is not a bug

Thus, there is no "workaround" since it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

BeautifulBoy

Advertisement: