News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How long before a new member can change additional profile options?

Started by NW Dreamer, September 02, 2014, 05:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NW Dreamer

RE: How long before a new member can change additional profile options?

Just curious.  I did a quick search for the answer and it returned so much that had to do with coding and mods that I figured this was the easiest way to ask.  I didn't see an FAQ on this either, but I don't have a lot of time to look all over for one either (got some work for a customer I need to finish before morning).

Thanks,

Craig

P.S., Just installed my first SMF board over the weekend and am impressed!  Good job to all involved.
Craig

kat

Welcome to the strange world of SMF!

I'm not entirely sure what "additional profile options" you mean, to be honest. But, these things are, usually, controlled by "Permissions".

Now, permissions can be a bit of a minefield, I'm afraid...

Have a good read through this lot and see if any of it makes sense. ;)

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Permissions

Burke ♞ Knight

K@, I think the OP meant here at SMF...
If not mistaken, there is a certain post count required to "unlock" certain profile edits here.
I am not sure as to what exactly the post count is.

kat

You could be right. :)

'course, you could, just as easily, be talking bollox. ;)

We'll soon find out, no doubt. :)

Deaks

you will get full control after 10 posts (chit chat doesnt count)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

NW Dreamer

So 10 posts somewhere outside of this forum before I can change simple things like time offset?  Well, ok then.
Craig

Arantor

Unfortunately SMF's permissions are rather granular like that; it's primarily about stopping access to the signature and the website items for spammers, but they're all controlled by the one permission.

NW Dreamer

Well, ok then!  This should be post #10 so let's see if I can finally change my time zone!
Craig

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: K@ on September 02, 2014, 06:13:13 AM
You could be right. :)

'course, you could, just as easily, be talking bollox. ;)

We'll soon find out, no doubt. :)

Yep... We found out....LOL

Now, would be nice to have certain settings done at registration, and time zone would be a good one, in my opinion.

Arantor

I have a feeling 2.1 has time zones on registration.

(And no, hours offset is not a time zone. It's a pale imitation of what a timezone really is.)

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on September 08, 2014, 01:24:32 PM
I have a feeling 2.1 has time zones on registration.

that is useful, i had not noticed that was an option under custom profile fields to show on registration.

Arantor

I know it has time zone support, I was under the impression (not that I'd actually *checked*) that it was on registration.

However, I think the list needs updating since it seems suspiciously close to the list I prepared a couple of years back which... shouldn't be used for various reasons.

NW Dreamer

There.  I feel slightly less of a n00b now.

Now, back to work!
Craig

live627

Quote from: Arantor on September 08, 2014, 01:47:03 PM
I know it has time zone support, I was under the impression (not that I'd actually *checked*) that it was on registration.
Yes, it's available there, but I think is disabled by default.
QuoteHowever, I think the list needs updating since it seems suspiciously close to the list I prepared a couple of years back which... shouldn't be used for various reasons.
Because it is

• found readily non the internet;
  • obtained from a random GitHub repo.

Arantor

Which is funny since it contains a few quirks that, as far as I was aware, were unique to a single very specific repo.

A very, very specific repo in fact. Sufficiently specific that I would *strongly* encourage replacing it with the newer list I prepared earlier this year in the 2.1 comments board.

Said repo owner has accused theft over less.

Meanwhile, the new list is more accurate, and has been double-checked in a way the original list was not.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

Probably best to use the new list just in case that egotistic obsessive maniac does come around.

Advertisement: