[WIP - Converter] Kunena 3.0

Started by margarett, September 02, 2014, 08:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

No, I mean try to check if you can do with SMF what you do with J! so you have just one site ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

lewism

oh, well, that was/is the intention but losing jomsocial might be an issue for some on some sites.
This is why I was thinking either a bridge or two logins, maybe links on SMF to the joomla user profiles, etc.

margarett

* margarett has no idea what jomsocial is :P

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

lewism

It's a social environment addon for Joomla. Somewhat mimicks FB and other social sites. It's ok but it's got plenty of problems.

margarett

lewism

Yes, I looked around to see what there was and there isn't much. What I saw pales quite a lot to a real social network site such as joomla using jomsocial. Jomsocial has been around for quite a long time now and it's a highly polished product even with it's problems but that's like anything else.

I've not decided how I will handle this. One way would be if I could have a link in SMF to users profiles and other things in Joomla so that when someone clicks on a user in smf, it would take them to the profile on joomla.

Just have to play with it and see how things go but now that I have the forums converted, there are other sites which I can convert simply to smf now. So, thank you VERY much for that!!!

margarett

You're welcome ;)

That bridge would be really handy... But that's waaaay out of my league :(

lewism

From what I have read, there is also some sort of license disagreement involved.

lewism

Here is a question for you, something I have been wondering about.

It will take me say a week to get the smf forum to a point where it could be used but in the meantime, people are still posting to the kunena forums.

I don't want to have to re-do all of the work I've done on smf to fire up my new forums so could I use your solution just to update my smf forum once it has been built?

margarett

In theory, yes, but it's really tricky so I'd say no, you can't do an "incremental" conversion.

When I converted myself to SMF, like 10 years ago :P this is what I did:
* made a test conversion to see if it fits me
* manually verified membergroups and board permissions.
* got a theme I like
* installed mods I thought would work for me
* ran the parallel forum with my staff for a week

Once we were happy, I did the conversion twice more so that I had all steps covered.
Finally I did the conversion "for real" with a downtime of +-6h.

lewism

I think I'm going to do something similar with one of the sites. I'll re-install smf right now, use the converter, turn off the kunena forums, make a link on joomla to the new forums and go from there. Maybe I'll keep both sites, maybe I won't, we'll see. Depends on the users I guess. This way, I'm not making huge sudden changes and they can tell me if they miss the rest of the joomla stuff or not.

margarett

lewism

Well, thanks to you, this is even possible now!

Thank you for doing this :)

lewism

As feedback, there is something else I've noticed.

All converted posts no longer use the apostrophe properly.

Here is an example;

'Let\'s ride on'

All posts now contain a \ if an apostrophe was used.

margarett

Hummm actually it shouldn't... The converter should replace those properly... I have to check.

Go to phpmyadmin, to your SMF database and SQL tab. Run the following query:
UPDATE smf_messages SET body = REPLACE(body, "\\\'", "\'");

lewism

Oh oh!

HelpManage Members

Below is a listing of all the members currently registered with your forum.

View All Members
    Search For Members

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
ID    Username    Display name    Email Address    IP address    Last Online    Posts    
793                Never    0    
794                Never    0    
***SNIP***
809                Never    0    
810                Never    0    
813                Never    0    
814                Never    0    
818                Never    0    
819                Never    0    
820                Never    0    
866                Never    0    
867                Never    0    
872                Never    0    
883                Never    74    
905                Never    0    
915                Never    0    
917                Never    0    
927                Never    0    
936                Never    0    
901    01xxxxstar    01xxxxstar    [email protected]       Today    71    
***from here, all users are listed...***

821                Never    0    

I am assuming this is normal since it seems to have saved the users.
Can I/should I delete all of the empty entries?

margarett

Hum how odd... That means that there are members in Kunena's members table that have no details in J! members table. You can delete them, yes ;)

lewism

before I delete them... I clicked on Status for the listing, then all blank entries went away and only users listed now?

Ooops, that's normal right? It's just showing active members first now I think.
Clicking in the status row on any empty ones leads me to sending them a private message.
How do I delete them?

margarett

On admin memberlist you can select multiple entries and delete them all at once ;)

lewism

Yup, noticed I was using the wrong side :)

Advertisement: