News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Error on Category Modify

Started by StaticNomad, September 03, 2014, 12:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StaticNomad

I keep getting this error when I try to modify the category of my boards. There are no mods installed. No themes. It's a fresh, new install. I'm merely trying to set it up. Any thoughts?

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum/index.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I can create the categories, but immediately after, I cannot modify them. There are no members yet. Just little ol' me.

Kindred

you really should try using search - this has been addressed several dozen times.

The issue is that your host (godaddy maybe?) has misconfigured the module called mod_security.
You need to talk to them and have them either fix the misconfiguration or turn off mod_security.

Or find a better host...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

StaticNomad

Why, hello Kindred. Thank you, very much, for your sage advice. Before I was able to use the search function, as I was stuck on a little phone that wouldn't cooperate with searching, I posted here in hopes of a kind/helpful response from a team member that wouldn't mind posting a link to redirect me to the information I was missing. However, during the time that lapsed between my posting here and coming back to "resolve" my own post because the laptop that I normally use to do my work on was freed up after my husband finished his work, I found you posted back about how I should have used the search function.

Just, disregard my original post, because now it's no longer an issue. It's not such much the resolution you (and others) have offered that bothers me, so much as it is the very first sentence in which you chose to "tisk" me for having resorted to asking here since I was unable to go the route I usually go, which is a search and then fixing the issue myself. So, I resolve to uninstall the software that I have used for the past 10 years for my non-profit organization, and just look elsewhere for a more...understanding community of volunteers who understand sometimes you have special circumstances for when the obvious isn't the first option taken.  Side note: (I recently had to do a complete move and lost precious information, thus needing a fresh install - which is why I am not as "new" to SMF as you might think.).

Since we are exchanging sage advice, here's mine to offer in return: If you are going to represent a company in a positive way, and volunteer your time, remember that your answers and treatment of those who did not disrespect you in anyway, but legitimately were asking for help, reflects back 100% on the company you are choosing to represent. If you cannot handle speaking to the public, or don't do well with repetitive situations that require patience and kindness, then you do not belong in positions such as the one you hold. I do *a lot* of volunteer work, much of it requiring me to answer questions, sometimes multiple times in the same conversation with the same person. I deal with people ranging from age 2 to 92. To each person I remain respectful, and non-critical, even if I did have to repeat myself two or five times. Perhaps, being a mother to three teens has given me that uncommon patience. I don't really know. What I do know is that it's really about just treating people as you'd want to be treated. What I have learned in the years of volunteer work I've done is that you are either cut out for the work, or you aren't. So, bottom line? If you're going to do this "job", try exercising a little understanding. Perhaps, instead of "you really should try using search - this has been addressed several dozen times" - you could have offered some punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and kindness. Maybe, by saying something like, "I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but for future knowledge, we have a search feature that can get you the answers you need in a pinch, and helps us to keep forum clutter and repetitive postings down. In case you were unable to use that feature though, the information I recall from previous posts on this very topic is that it has to do with your host, and you need to contact them to have them turn off the mod_sec on your IP." So much nicer of a response, don't you agree? And you know what else? It makes YOU look like a great asset to SMF's volunteer mod team of fantastic and kind helpers. :)

And remember, while I am just *one* user who walks away unhappy and feeling like this is not the company that I should be using to keep my community connected, as this experience doesn't represent the service I'd like to offer to my members, eventually...that treatment will carry through to more and more people who walk away feeling as I do right now. Simply put: When you drop a penny, you think nothing of it and shrug. What people often ignore is that pennies add up to dollars. Hope you have a beautiful night.

Arantor

Oh dear :(

I'd like to apologise on behalf of Kindred, first of all. I understand his attitude though, and I hope shortly you will understand it even if you don't agree.

This particular question comes up every other day or near enough. And every time we have to go through the spiel of explaining that it's a GoDaddy problem and that they're not interested in working with the SMF team in fixing it; I know, as back last year when I was part of the dev team, I tried contacting them myself. If we knew what the problem was, we could fix it so no-one would have the problem, but they never give us enough details to figure it out.

The reality is, SMF is not a new product. Virtually every question that has come up from a support perspective like this one, has already come up before, many times. I've been seeing this issue with GoDaddy for at least 3 years now - so you can only imagine how many times we've each individually helped with this particular problem and it does grate on us significantly when the answer can usually be found with a search.

Kindred wasn't trying to be rude, it's just that he's a bit blunt for some people, and he's right - searching will often yield a useful answer. We've learned from experience that people who use the search will invariably get to a useful answer without having to wait for someone to answer their problems - and it also means that it shows someone willing to put time and effort in (which means when we do come across your problem, we're far more inclined to put our free time in as well)

Yup, it does sound like you have uncommon patience, and it would likely benefit the rest of us to learn it too, but in all honesty, support is not where Kindred's - or for that matter, my - specialities lie. He was just trying to help out in between the other things he does do which are not publicly visible.

The only problem is, waiting around for someone who has the time to be patient... might mean you would have to wait days. From your perspective, which is worse - a blunt, terse answer inside a few minutes, or a much more polite answer a few days later?

Kindred

I am sorry to see you go, especially over something as silly as a blunt comment.

and do note, I have always treated users pretty much the same way that I would want to be treated as well. I am sorry if you felt that my statement was being mean or rude, it wasn't. I stated a simple fact -- you (users in general) should try to use search.

I didn't berate you...
I didn't belittle you...
I made a statement that, perhaps, was a bit blunt... but then proceeded to tell you the answer anyway.
I don't use 50 words when 10 will get the point across.
(and that is exactly what I would expect and want in a response)

as a matter of fact, as "polite" as your response seems - it was more insulting and uncalled for than my single statement...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: