Import forum as a subforum in my current forum...

Started by jpiek, September 04, 2014, 05:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpiek

Hi Guys,

Sorry it's been quite i while.... Server is running perfect and i had quite some bad ****** IRL, so no chance to come over....

...but there's work to do on the forum now... A subject related forum wants to merge with ours...  and the asked me to see how we can import the users and posts as a subforum in ours...

Where's the problem ? We are running 1.1.18 and they are running 2.0.1  And i don't have a clue wether or not i can 'just import' the relevant parts of the database into ours... Probably not ;)

Problem is also that i do not want to make a lot of changes to the current forum due to the kind of users.

Any help or hint would be appreciated !!

Kindred

oh... you have more problems than just a different version.

If you were to get it done, you would definitely have to be using the same version... However, basically, there is no good way to do what you are asking, even if you were on the same version. because there are several tables, with associated and linked numbering that are involved

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

Likely, definitely a lot of collision there. Author numbers, topic, message, attachments, avatar numbers. And the different versions are certainly a problem as well. I did a quick Google search though and found this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=332894.0

It is from five years ago. Can't vouch/verify it. I imagine the two forums have to be on the same version though?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

margarett

It should be possible, methinks.
There is this http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513684.msg3630822#msg3630822
There are reports of successful merges ;)

Before you do that, though, the 1.1 install should be upgraded to 2.0.8. In fact, both should. While the database schema of 2.0.1 is the same, several security issues have been fixed and you should update your forum.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

jpiek

:o Didn't think of that ! Thanks guy's for helping me not ruining the forum ;)   (Nah, i have a test mirror on my homenetwork)

But.... How do i merge two fora when they made a agreement on administrative level ? Because that's a fact...
There are some moderators who can do some extensive typing or copy-pasting ;)

If we aks the members to register again on the new site, we are gonna loose members... The memers have a DSM4 diagnosis. Hence have problems with changes etc.... It should be as fluently as possible...

Some script doing mass registration + confirmation email would be a start maybe ?

margarett

QuoteBut.... How do i merge two fora when they made a agreement on administrative level ? Because that's a fact...
I don't think I understand what that means...

Did you read my previous post? Posts and members will be merged, board permissions will probably not, so a post-merge work is required ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

jpiek

Quote from: margarett on September 04, 2014, 05:44:49 PM
QuoteBut.... How do i merge two fora when they made a agreement on administrative level ? Because that's a fact...
I don't think I understand what that means...

The two organisations have merged, the forum should follow one way or another...

Did you read my previous post? Posts and members will be merged, board permissions will probably not, so a post-merge work is required ;)

It's worth more than a try on my local server :) Thanks verry much, it might just be what i need !

kat

How'd it go? As you've not come back, to this, I'd assume it all went well, yes?

jpiek

Hi K@,

Well, I haven't done anything yet. Guess the info scared the hell out of them, so they are still contemplating what to do with the new forum.....  So I can't even test it, since i don't have access to the other forum.

If we are giving it a try, I'll sure let you guy's know what i did and how it went...

jpiek

No problem, just don't hold your breath.... It's back on the desk of the owners of both fora now...  ???

jpiek

...nothing yet... guess they got cold feet from the info i got here ;)

it'll take weeks before we know anything more, and then some more before i get the time to try it out...
I will have to do the job in my own spare time....

kat

OK, mate. No sweat. Let us know how it goes, won't you? :)

jpiek

Ofcourse i will. 

I am thinking of upgrading our forum to 2.x anyhow, done is done, and 1.x is almost end-of-life  ?

jpiek

Ok, it's a no go... The merger is called off...  :o

margarett

Can we help you with something else? Why was it called off? ;)

jpiek

Advertisement: