News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

errors after upgrade to 2.0.8

Started by James Main, September 05, 2014, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Main

OK I blew my site up 4 times tonight but now have nearly everything working except for admin section. I can access some of it but if I just click on admin I get a parse error syntax error message saying error in who.php line 329

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/content/j/a/m/XXXXXXXX/html/SMF/Sources/Who.php on line 329

line 329 reads as follows   // If it's the adm

So far other than that upgrade went pretty good I can access most of admin section by using the package manager to get in and them moving around from there. It looks like I cannot access the Administration center or the support and credits center  in the main section I can get to everything else. I changed my login to all x's any help would be great.

mashby

Mind attaching Sources/Who.php to a reply here? What steps did you follow to upgrade? I'll assume you downloaded the large upgrade package and overwrote all files and then did the upgrade.php dealio?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

James Main

I tried to cheat a few times but in the end did the large upgrade which mostly worked  then spent  the time trying to salvage my mods which I saved all but a couple that were too old. here is the complete who.php file I pretty much try and keep the site  as simple as I can. but I am amazed at how many spammers  try and get on my site  that only has 90 members and is mostly read only for 88 of them LOL. Actually after I blew it up the 3rd time I was pretty happy just to be able to save it LOL.

mashby

Interesting. Give this one a try. Yours is simply cut off at that line. What mods do you have installed? I'm only asking to make sure none of them affect this file, and I have a suspicion none of them do. :)
- James M. Barrie

James Main

Problem occurred before any mods were installed.
   Referrals System    3.0.1    
   SA Facebook    2.0.4    
   RSS Feed Poster    3.0.1    
   Forum Firewall    1.0.7    
   Ad Managment    3.2    
   SMF Gallery Lite    3.0.3a    
   Login Security    1.0.3    
   Stop Spammer    2.3.9    
   httpBL    2.5.1    
   Aeva Media    1.4w    
   Pm_Informer    3.0    
   SimplePortal    2.3.5    
   Quick Ban on Account Delete    1.0.1    
   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC5/Final Plugin    3.3.0

James Main

your file fixed the issue will see if any other issues pop up thanks.

mashby

- James M. Barrie

James Main

Thanks a Lot now if I could only get the facebook mod to work with our facebook page. It would be nice to only have to post event info one time LOL. That and I wish the spammers would give up I get tired of deleting them every day. The only goal for this website was to have a place people could go to get info on our fishing tournaments and share fishing info. Most days I don't think the site is worth the money I spend to keep it online and sure not worth the hassle of booting 6 thousand spammers every year.

Chalky

James Main

well the easiest fix was when I shut off registration completely for a year. Not 1 spammer has posted on my site in over 2 years but I get tired of rejecting the thousands of attempts to join. There is no commercial use of the site it is just a information site for our fishing tournaments. I used to just run it as a simple page read only but I like the SMF setup better and I don't have to constantly rewrite the entire page when we make changes LOL. I would like to see people use it but it has been such a hassle most of the guys only read it and no longer post on it. I am really looking to either get some use out of it or just give up and shut it  down. For now I am going to spend the next month or so cleaning up my mess and see what comes of it. If you guys want to look it over it is www.mscst.com/SMF/index.php [nofollow]

kat

I think you have the right idea. If it's just for private members, I'd disable registration and have done with it. :) Or, perhaps, just set registration to By approval.

Rejecting those is way easier than doing things after they've posted their crap.

James Main

I agree it was much nicer with reg disabled  however we have a lot of new guys fishing that never joined the site so I need them to be able to join. I added some tourney specific questions to the reg process and will see how that works out. So far  no spammer has made it past them yet but if they do I still have to approve them so maybe they will give up some day LOL.

mashby

I like your registration questions. To make it easier for humans, I would turn off CAPTCHA. Bots get by it without issue, it stops humans now, unlike its original intent. Those registration questions are specific to your site and I bet most of your desired audience will know the answers. :)
- James M. Barrie

James Main

I agree and will shut off the captcha only 18000 plus have gotten past it any how LOL. SO I will add more questions to the pool.

Arantor

Yup, SMF's standard CAPTCHA has been broken for a long time by the bots, it's why I wrote my own from scratch but even that's been beaten by a couple of lucky bots now :(

Mstcool

If you only want specific members to join your site, there is a mod on the mod site that let's you give people a specific code in order for them to register

I forget the name of the mod but its like you gotta invite people in order to get registered or something like that. :P

James Main

It is kinda like a bowling league with fishing so each team has a captain but over the season may fish with the same crew every time or have a different crew each time. I don't mind if non tournament people use the site for info or to post fishing reports just got sick of fighting the spam so closed it for a while but the second I opened it back up the spammers were right back trying to get in. not one has gotten past my question pool yet so that is better. However I don't know everyone that is in the tourneys over the course of 5 years a lot have come and gone.

Mstcool

Download the keycaptcha from the mod site. Its just making a pic, takes 2 secs to complete and is fun. Its better than questions and I don't believe bots can bypass that. At least, they haven't for me so far.

Advertisement: