Standard thumbnails for guests

Started by Auke, September 05, 2014, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

SMF 2.0.8, standard theme

Because I hate adverts, I pay for the bandwidth and storage of my forum. To keep bots form taking most of the bandwidth (and making me pay more), I only allow logged-in members to view pictures. Unfortunately, this logically also results in guests seeing nothing but texts, while pics would be much more likely to entice them to become members.

I now wonder if it would be possible to install a mod that circumvents the 'no images shown to guests' thing, and shows guests all images but only in thumbnail format. That means that the mod should automatically create thumbnails of all normal images on a page when this page is viewed by a guest. Only logged-in members should see the normal-sized images.

Is there already something like this, or would someone be interested in creating such a mod?

Auke

live627

I threw this together for you just now. Hopefully it's what you want.

Auke

Quote from: live627 on September 06, 2014, 12:59:12 AM
I threw this together for you just now. Hopefully it's what you want.

Thank you for your effort. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about coding and thus won't be able to do anything with this. :-\ That's why I'm looking for a mod; with some effort I can handle mods.

Auke

mashby

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what live attached for you. A mod. Install it via Package Manager. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Auke

Quote from: mashby on September 06, 2014, 11:45:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what live attached for you. A mod. Install it via Package Manager. :)

So it is! :o I just installed it, but it doens't function like I think it should; it only gets me half way. When a guests looks at a message with picture without this mod, he sees just the text. With this mod, he sees the text plus a link. Alas, this link doesn't open until you're logged in. What I want, is that a guest sees the text plus an actual thumbnail (without the need of clicking on the link). If he wants to see the picture full scale, he should become a member. Could this be done?

Auke

live627

It does that on my end. Is your test image smaller than the thumbnail limitation settings?

Auke

Just did some testing:

When the mod is off, as Admin I can see pics and my avatar. With my member-testaccount I see pics and avatars too. As a guest, I see no indication of pics, but I do see avatars.

When the mod is on, as Admin I can still see pics and avatars. As a member I see pics, but instead of avatars I only see small squares with a red X. As a guest, I first saw only links, but now I see squares the size of pics, but with a red X in the upper left corner. The avatars have also changed into squares with a red X.

Most pictures are (much) over 200x200.

I hope this gives you a clue as to where the error is. I'd like the avatars to be visible for everybody, like how it is when I don't use the mod.

Auke

Auke

No ideas yet as to what the problem may be?

Auke

Auke

@ live627:

Do you have any idea what might be the problem? I would still like to show guests thumbnails of posted pictures. I assume it will boast interest of people in my forum.

Thanks in advance,

Auke

Auke

Auke

Been almost a month now without reply... :-\ Could anyone else please help me with this? I think sharing thumbnails with guests could be a good thing for getting people more interested in becoming a member of my forum. I assume it would also make the forum more visible when looking for images in search engines.

Thanks in advance!

Auke

Could someone please help me getting live627's mod working, or provide me with another mod to get all photos visible as thumbnails for guests?

Thanks in advance,

Auke

Advertisement: