News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

spoiler tags

Started by Kelsie, September 06, 2014, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelsie

I know there is a package for it, but why isnt it in the default? It's a nifty bbcode and I think it would be good to have, considering the current version of the package isnt compatible with 2.0.8

mashby

With that logic, any mod that works on 2.0.8 should be default. Thus, there's a mod for it. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kelsie

But it's a default in a different forum software so i figure why not this one too?

Also, this one doesnt work for it, that's why i was saying why doesnt someone add it to the base of the code and update it with the software?

Kindred

1- just because another software does (or doesn't) do something is no reason for SMF to do (or not do) something...

2- there are several spoiler mods. AFAIK, most of them work just fine.

3- why should it be in the core?   I have been using forums for 20+ years and I have never actually used or needed the spoiler tag on ANY system I have run...  (again, not a clear reason to do or not do something, but it does eigh into the decision process.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

- James M. Barrie

Kelsie

Apologies. I just come from a different side of the forum universe. Mainly game related ones and such, and we use spoiler tags at least everyday. Also to large images in general it's useful.

I tried to install one on my forum but it didnt seem to work.  When I checked the mod site, there was only 3 different ones, and none work with 2.0.8.

mashby

- James M. Barrie

JBlaze

The idea behind SMF is to have as little extras in the base package, and be able to easily add features as needed. This is why the Package Manager is there.

* JBlaze remembers when "modding" phpBB entailed ALL manual edits... *shudder*
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Kelsie

Hmm.. so I was completely misunderstanding what Simple Machines meant? Jesus, I'm so ...-_- (I can't think of the right word, just watch i'll remember it later when i don't need it)

JBlaze

Yup. The idea is to keep it simple, thus the name. :)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Kelsie

Quote from: JBlaze on September 06, 2014, 03:41:18 PM
Yup. The idea is to keep it simple, thus the name. :)
I understand now, it does make sense. Good thing I picked this software.

Arantor

I'd be in favour of spoiler tags in 2.1.

Steve

Ah, but what type? Rollover? Click?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Click to open, full width containers. Never been a fan of inline spoiler tags and doing it that way also allows for a rather convenient encapsulation of just about anything you want to put inside, be it regular content or videos or something like that.

Steve

I was hoping you'd say that. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

I've seen various kinds of inline spoiler done; most interestingly of recent times on Discourse, where inline text (and images, ugh) gets blurred heavily normally, marginally less blurred on hover and unblurred on click.

Which is great if you then bury a link in said spoiler because it goes awry very quickly. Never foist less than well-thought-out design decisions on a forum full of programmers whose common feature is that they're all refugees from bad design decisions in their real lives.

Gwenwyfar

I kinda agree with the point of different communities using this tag more often than others, but then again, it is something that can be useful for almost all of them to some extent. I think this would be a good thing to have as default. That was one of the first things I missed when I installed smf, I was thinking it would already be there since it is such a simple thing.

Also, yes, the expandable ones, the inline ones have very little use.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: