News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Weird online documentation behavior

Started by NW Dreamer, September 07, 2014, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NW Dreamer

Well, this is a new one for me.  For some reason (and I checked quite a few of the usual suspects like ABP), when I search the online documentation using Firefox (either search box), I get a completely blank page as a result.  However, if I copy the URL and try it on Chrome, the results show.  Usually, I have the complete opposite issue where something doesn't work in Chrome so I have to use Firefox to get it to work - and that's why I consider this behavior weird!

Anyway, I wasn't completely sure where to post this, so I hope this is the correct place, but I wanted to let you guys know (I didn't see any mention of it searching this board).

Craig
Craig

Irisado

Does this happen even if you refresh or hard refresh the page in Firefox?  Sometimes searching, browsing, or even loading a specific wiki page will generate a white screen a number of times regardless of the browser.  Refreshing the page usually resolves the issue.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Steve

You could also try clearing your temp files and then follow Irisado's suggestion. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Burke ♞ Knight

Confirmed.
Does to me, too.
I click on one of the pages, and have to do hard refresh each time.

Arantor

There's something funky about the integration with MediaWiki that chokes on the first request due to what I suspect is session initialisation issues.

NW Dreamer

How do you perform a hard refresh in Firefox?  I know <Shift><F5> works in Chrome and IE, but that just brings up a window in Firefox... (and a normal refresh with <F5> or clicking on the refresh icon doesn't work).  Oh well, as long as it works in Chrome I should be fine.  I seem to keep both browsers up all the time lately anyway!  ???
Craig

Arantor

I believe it's Ctrl-F5 on Firefox/Windows.

Irisado

I can confirm that it's Ctrl+F5 in Firefox.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

NW Dreamer

Thank you!  I'm about 99% sure I tried that, but I guess not...  ???

Ironically, I just tried the exact same search I've tried at least a dozen times to see if <Ctrl><F5> would work and... the results came up right away.  Figures.  Kind of like taking your car into the mechanic with a very annoying squeak only to have it be completely silent when you get there...
Craig

Burke ♞ Knight

In IE, you can CTRL + click the refresh button.

In FF, that just opens a duplicate of the tab. Not even sure if the dupe gets hard refreshed....LOL

SleePy

Quote from: Arantor on September 07, 2014, 12:10:07 PM
There's something funky about the integration with MediaWiki that chokes on the first request due to what I suspect is session initialisation issues.

Yea we get that now and then.  I almost think its a race condition as it fails to find the session data even though it exists.  I want to say it only affects our environment due to how we handle sessions for multiple servers.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Arantor

That sounds feasible. Wish I had a suggestion for it though.

TonyG

Was trying wiki and just noticed same behavior. In FF the wiki just comes up with a blank page. Just keep refreshing until the page displays.

SleePy

That is a separate issue, but I believe I have found the cause and disabled the problem extension on the wiki.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Arantor

Curious, which one was giving trouble?

TonyG

Verified, no more blank pages. Thanks!

I guess now I can remove this from my Help page:  ;)

NOTE!! The documentation pages sometimes do not load when you first access the page. If you get a blank page, just hit your F5 Refresh button until you do get a page.

Illori

Arantor

Yeah, I haven't heard a lot of good things about this.

Illori

if anyone notices that the wiki looks strange... we are aware Sleepy accidentally disabled all our extensions.

SleePy

Extensions are fixed.

Arantor,
SemanticWiki is triggering the problem.  But it is because of a bug in PHP clashing with APC opcaching.  This is the bug https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=52144
Its unclear in the bug report if the latest PHP versions have resolved the issue.

Advertisement: