News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

domain name hard-coded in theme

Started by splashdown, September 07, 2014, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splashdown

Greets all,

Okay, so I've moved a forum (for a friend) from one domain to another, everything went fine but when accessing the forum from the new domain it's trying to load theme content from the old domain. I'm guessing this is extremely non-standard behavior for SMF,  probably caused by a rouge forum mod written by someone who didn't know what they were doing. The forum owner had MANY volunteers doing maintenance over the past 10 years, and has no idea of what might or might not have been done. Nothing exists of the old forum but the mysql database, it's running on a fresh install of SMF 1.1.19 on the new domain's webserver.

So my guess is the only way to fix this is to excise all instances of the old domain name out of the database from the mysql command line, yes?

Thanks in advance for any confirmation or denial of my guesses regarding this matter!  8)

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

Also note...  If you are spending the time to recreate the forum, you should upgrade to 2.0.x since the 1.1.x line is sunset and will be end of life shortly
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

splashdown

repair_settings.php is a great tool but it doesn't modify bad stuff that shouldn't be in the database in the first place.  :-[

And yes, once I repair the database (if that's at all possible) I will gleefully be upgrading to the 2.0 tree...  :)

Kindred

?? Repair bad stuff?

Repair_settings is a tool to repair the database connection and the paths for the forum. That is all. What "bad stuff" do you think it should remove?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

splashdown

Well, somehow (and I have no idea how) the html that SMF is outputting has links to the previous domain name which hosted the forum, links of the type:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="hxxp://old-domain-name.com/forum/Themes/default/script.js?fin11"></script>

Those links are dead, so the appearance of the forum is all messed up theme-wise. It was not my intent to disrespect the repair_tools script, I merely sought to point out that it does not have the ability to purge those links, which is what I meant by "bad stuff" in the database.

Arantor

It doesn't have that ability for various complicated technical reasons.

You can do it from the admin panel, though I forget exactly where in 1.1 that is.

mashby

Yep...default URL is another setting that might not be in repair_settings. But in 1.1.x, it's here (put this on your new domain URL):
index.php?action=theme;sa=list
Reset Theme URLs and Directories
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

splashdown

Quote from: mashby on September 07, 2014, 07:40:04 PM
Yep...default URL is another setting that might not be in repair_settings. But in 1.1.x, it's here (put this on your new domain URL):
index.php?action=theme;sa=list
Reset Theme URLs and Directories
Whoo-hoo, thanks that worked! I am now just as happy as though I were in my right mind...  8)

Advertisement: