News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

mysql + mssql

Started by dario1984, September 10, 2014, 09:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dario1984

Hi guys, apologize if this question was already asked and maybe also solved.

In the next days i will buy via ARUBA Hosting Windows one MYSQL database (to use ONLY with SMF forum) and one MSSQL database (to use for the rest of my site).
My friend (webmaster) have to create many tables and query inside MSSQL database (pages will be in ASP Language), it's possibile to link theese 2 different database, so for example, when i create an user on the site (MSSQL), it will be automatically created also in the forum (MYSQL)???
Or maybe there are other solution to do what i mean?

Thanks to all for your time

Dario

NanoSector

It would be possible, but I can't tell you how. You'll probably need to write a PHP script that calls an ASP script to insert the user, or initiate a MSSQL connection in PHP and insert the user that way.

Though if you're writing all ASP pages from scratch you may consider using MySQL for everything so you don't have to copy stuff all over, if possible.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

ASP or ASP.NET first off?

ASP.NET is definitely less fond of MySQL than it is of MSSQL but if you can get a connector for it, that would certainly be the way to go to create the account. Porting the account creation step is not hideous, depending on which language within ASP.NET you're using and I'm sure someone here can help you if you need it (there's at least two of us around here that can wrangle C# though my VB.NET is rusty to the point of being non-existant)

dario1984

Hello, thanks for the answers.

It will be in ASP, no ASP.NET.

pages must be write as new (there is a previous site, but that was working with MDB database.

maybe some page will be the same, just changing some parameters...

Arantor

You didn't answer my question: what language? You can write different languages for ASP, I was doing VBScript with ASP years ago but you don't have to use that.

In any case, I thought Classic ASP was phased out *years* ago.

dario1984

hi, apologize!!

ASP with VBScript was the previous site, so i think this will be the same (at the moment).

Other solution is start from 0 with another Language?

Arantor

I honestly don't know if you can run from ASP/VBScript to MySQL. I assume it probably is possible but Classic ASP is not supported by Microsoft and has not been updated in years. I would strongly discourage building applications in it if at all possible.

Advertisement: