Need help (Mods Not Working Despite Showing as Installed)

Started by SpikY1337, September 10, 2014, 10:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpikY1337

Hey there!

I don't know how this happened, I can't install any mods, it does show that I have mods installed but they don't actually work. I lately installed SimplePortal for SMF 2.0.8 (I'm using SMF 2.0.8 obviously), and when I browsed the installed packages, I could see it there, but I don't see SimplePortal in the Administration Center. Same happens with any mods I install, they don't have any effect. Before a few weeks, everything was working perfectly, I have no idea what's wrong. Please help me.

Sincerely Yours
SpikY

Title Edited for clarity - Iris.

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Night09

Kindred

also - check your files and see if they were actually edited when you installed the mod.

Much of the time, what you describe happens when the host has a variation of  chown/chmod set up and the php "user" does not actually have permission to write to files... but the server doesn't error - so SMF THINKS that the installation was successful all the while, the server silently rejected the updates
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SpikY1337

Quote from: mashby on September 10, 2014, 10:47:48 AM
Have you enabled them?

Yes, they are enabled. They are also up-to-date.
hxxp:prntscr.com/4lq8q4 [nonactive]

Quote from: Night09 on September 10, 2014, 10:50:43 AM
Have you checked using the default theme?

Yes, I just did, they still don't work.

Quote from: Kindred on September 10, 2014, 10:55:47 AM
also - check your files and see if they were actually edited when you installed the mod.

Much of the time, what you describe happens when the host has a variation of  chown/chmod set up and the php "user" does not actually have permission to write to files... but the server doesn't error - so SMF THINKS that the installation was successful all the while, the server silently rejected the updates

I was using a different domain before, and after I changed my domain (though the host is still the same), this problem popped up. You might be right. And just to let you know, I also can't uninstall mods - hxxp:prntscr.com/4lq93x [nonactive]. How do I fix this?

Chalky

Looks like the uninstaller isn't finding the code it needs to remove because Kindred's right and the code was never added in the first place. You can't uninstall mods that were never installed in the first place. You need to speak to your host about file ownership.

SpikY1337

Quote from: Chalky on September 11, 2014, 04:04:51 AM
Looks like the uninstaller isn't finding the code it needs to remove because Kindred's right and the code was never added in the first place. You can't uninstall mods that were never installed in the first place. You need to speak to your host about file ownership.

What do you mean by file ownership? If I somehow set all the files/directories' permissions to 777, would it work then?

kat

That's "Permissions", which is CHMOD. You need to ask about CHOWN, which is file ownership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chown

SpikY1337

They say that nothing is wrong with file ownership. I'm still having the problem. I can't install or uninstall anything.

kat

I hate to say it... But, I think your host's telling porkies. :(

Advertisement: