Should I upgrade?

Started by sck, September 10, 2014, 12:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sck

Currently running 1.1.19 with no issues and like how I have it looking.  Don't have too many mods installed.  However, I would like to be running the supported version.  I am not good at doing mods and upgrades if it requires much if any manual php type of work so I am
VERY nervous about doing the upgrade.

if I read the instructions correctly I need to do the following steps:
Backup db (not through SMF admin)
copy the upgrade zip file down to my computer
un-zip
ftp the files to the directory where my 1.1.19 is located
navigate to -> www.yourdomain.com/forum/upgrade.php
start upgrade
[/list]

is that all that is needed.

richwig83

Before you do anything you need to realise that your current theme (it its a 3rd party one) wont work.

Also. i would first download your entire "forum" folder to your computer. That way you have the DB and the front end... if it goes horribly wrong then you just upload the DB and upload the front end and youll be back where you started.

Kindred

pretty much...

things to be aware of
1- themes for 1.1.x will not work on 2.0.x - so switch to the default theme and then update your system with a 2.0 theme after the upgrade.
2- mods may leave behind files and tables...   nothing to worry about unless you are OCD - in which case you'll want to clean then up.

3- backup the database... and backup your site files (separate actions)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sck

Sounds simple enough  ;D   Guess I will give my users a warning that it is about to happen and give it a go.....

Deaks

sck create a test site first even if its got nothing on it and upgrade that first that will give you an idea and better feeling and make you more confident about it.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

sck

Well that was a lot easier than I expected.  Everything seems to be there and is working.  Now I just have to find the Mods that I need to get all the functions back.  Ad-management seems to have an issue with the theme I installed so I will have to look into that one. 

Advertisement: