News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is Signature Image member permission limitation possible?

Started by jonesH, September 11, 2014, 11:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesH

In the Signature Settings menu, the first line item is Enable Signatures. I looked thru the permissions and found no other setting referencing this option, anywhere.

Is there a way to allow this to some members and deny it to others?

The context of this is that I want to allow qualified members to use Signatures but disallow those who fall short of my criteria.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Don't know if this will help ya, but I have an old mod that I customized many moons ago to prevent members from adding images or links into their signatures until they successfully post a predefined number of posts, but I had to tweak it considerably to suite my needs, I just did a search in the modifications section here at SMF and it seems to be no longer available, but I have some time available to customize it for your site if you like? Spammers do not get by with anything on my site, in fact, i rather enjoy watching them attempt in frustration...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

jonesH

Thank you both.

Since this is not a feature of SMF right out of the box, I am taking a bit of time to evaluate my options.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Illori on September 12, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3237 should do what you want.
It doesn't since the OP asked for a permission about links in the signature while the mod talks about adding a permission for editing the signature in general... I don't have it installed but at least the description suggests this.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on September 13, 2014, 11:21:00 AM
Quote from: Illori on September 12, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3237 should do what you want.
It doesn't since the OP asked for a permission about links in the signature while the mod talks about adding a permission for editing the signature in general... I don't have it installed but at least the description suggests this.

other then in the subject line, the op no where else states they only wanted to limit images, so i thought that would do what they wanted.

jonesH

My bad and apologies if I sound ambiguous.

For context: I am generally seeking novel uses for existing SMF features, and I am staying away from installing a mod for every new whim...

In this particular case, it'a all about advertising, albeit not the ubiquitous variety. I am looking for an option to allow certain (deserving) members to advertise for themselves or their own businesses in the space provided for signatures, while denying everyone else use of that feature, or at least limit it to a text string or a link.

An alternative might be to add a div in their profile for this purpose (for ex instead of or in addition to the personal text feature).

I hope these examples clarify (or at least better explain) my intent.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Then this is the closest thing you may want I think, pretty much similar (if not identical) to the one installed on sm.org --> http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2404 give it a try maybe? ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

jonesH

Sorry for the silence, I didn't mean to drop you.

Continuing my search for a solution based on your replies and some other ideas I have. At this point I feel the issue I need to work out first is perhaps rather conceptual - coding comes next.

Thanks to everyone for your input, as every little bit helps.

Advertisement: