pre-migration general question

Started by jeffp1956, September 13, 2014, 06:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffp1956

i currently have phpbb3.xx installed on my host it SMF is listed as a installable script in my c panel. I under stand i have to do a full  install of smf first will this affect my installation of phpbb
thanks in advance also is their paid help available in case i really screw this up
jeff
As with most things in life YMMV

Ninja ZX-10RR

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=133.0 Take a look at this board there is a converter that will help you in converting your phpbb into SMF ;)

Also...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

Quote from: jeffp1956 on September 13, 2014, 06:48:19 PM
thanks in advance also is their paid help available in case i really screw this up
jeff

our charter membership does not include assistance with converting to SMF. if you want you could always post in the help wanted board and hire someone to assist you if you so wish.

jeffp1956

I appreciate the communities response to my question but I think i worded it improperly, my main question is can i upload and install SMF to my existing host without destroying my current phpbb installation ? my host offers SMF as a installation script from my cpanel

jeffp1956

Thanks for the warm welcome Just bought a charter membership

Kindred

The answer to that is... We don't know...   We don't know how your host has the auto install scripts set up, and we generally do not recommend using those anyway.

if you install it manually, using the full install archive available on the download page here, then you can have both installed, in separate databases and without affecting one with the other.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jeffp1956

but do i install it in the root (or top) directory

Kindred

That depends...  Where is your Phpbb installed?where do you want smf to be installed?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jeffp1956

i have included screenshots of where my phpbb3 installation is as for my smf install where ever you think it should go prob the public html folder?

kat

From that second screeny, it seems that your forum is in a "phpbb3" subdirectory. You can either install SMF into the root, or into a different subdirectory, as you see fit.

If you stick it in the root, though, your forum URL will be http://www.thehobbyboard.com, whereas, should you put in in, say, a subdirectory named "SMF", your URL will be http://www.thehobbyboard.com/SMF.

Depends on what else you intend putting on your site, I guess...

jeffp1956

kat

Kindred

when we say "root"   we usually mean the website root (public_html or www, depending on your server config)

Sometimes, we'll frefer to the forum root - which is the directory that your forum was installed in (in your case it looks like phpbb's forum root DIRECTORY is  /home/thehobby/public_html/phpBB3 while the root URL would be http://www.thehobbyboard.com/phpBB3

(do note, linux servers are case sensitive phpBB3 is DIFFERENT from phpbb3)
Слaва
Украинi

jeffp1956

so ....... if i do this install in the  /public_html directory I will wind up with 2 forum installations in the same directory and I will be ready for conversion to ready for conversion to SMF

Kindred

2 installed in the same directory? no...

phpbb is installed in the public_html/phpBB3 directory
smf would be installed in the root (aka public_html) directory

So, two forum installations... but not in the same directory.

You can't put them in the same directory - files would overwrite each other..
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: