News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to change default notification settings?

Started by Grej, September 13, 2014, 10:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grej

Hi, the current default notification setting is "Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)", but how do I change the default notification to daily, weekly or instantly?

Steve

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Notifications ... use the dropdown box. :)

(that's for each individual user)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Grej

I know but I mean the default notifications for when a user registers on my site.

When a person registers the default notification setting is "Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)", but how do I change the default notification to daily, weekly or instantly?

For example I want every new person that registers to have "daily" as their notification setting. How do I do this?

Steve

Ah, I'll defer to our wizard coders one of whom should answer shortly. :)

Kindred

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Themes_and_Layout#Member_Options
Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. - With this checked, the checkbox to send out notification of replies to a topic you post in will by default be checked.

it's either ON or OFF to start with (unless you re-code it)

personally, I suggest turning it OFF by default and then let each user turn it ON along with picking the variation of how often to be notified if they actually want it.

1- notification emails can BOG your system down, if you have even a moderately busy forum.
2- many users hate getting email notifications. They count it as SPAM, even if they signed your ToS agreement...   Requiring the user to actively turn ON notification covers you by the various international requirements.

finally...  it's a setting in the database... If you still insist on doing this, You could code it into the creation of the user's account for future users,  but the only way to change existing members' settings would be a direct database update, I believe...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Grej

I don't want "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" to be the default I just want "Daily" to be the default setting for newly registered accounts like in this picture: http://i.imgur.com/AtgllYZ.png

What code would I have to change to do this?

Steve

Will you still allow the new members the ability to turn notifications off?

If not, Kindred has a good point. If I join a forum and I find it forces me to receive email notifications without the ability to turn it off or change it, I won't be back.

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on September 14, 2014, 09:10:06 AM
finally...  it's a setting in the database... If you still insist on doing this, You could code it into the creation of the user's account for future users,  but the only way to change existing members' settings would be a direct database update, I believe...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Grej

Ok how would I code it into the creation of the user's account for future users?

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2014, 09:38:50 AM
Will you still allow the new members the ability to turn notifications off?

If not, Kindred has a good point. If I join a forum and I find it forces me to receive email notifications without the ability to turn it off or change it, I won't be back.

Yes you can turn it off, but I'm not trying to change that notification setting.

When you click the notify button on a thread like this this one, the default setting is to send you the email instantly. I want the default setting to send the email daily instead of instantly. That's the notification setting I want to change.

Kindred

oh...   that was not what I read in the original request...

and I am not certain that is actually even settable.

Because the setting for that is in each individual user's record, and is applied to ALL notifications, it is not set at notification time and is not changeable per message.
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

But ... but ...

If a new member is signing up, and then goes to their profile to set the notifications to the way they want, it will show "Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)" with the option to change it, right?

If so, why can't that choice be coded to one of the other options?

Grej

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2014, 03:25:36 PM
But ... but ...

If a new member is signing up, and then goes to their profile to set the notifications to the way they want, it will show "Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)" with the option to change it, right?

If so, why can't that choice be coded to one of the other options?

Yes, this is what I am trying to do. I am not trying to change the default setting for each unique message but instead for all messages.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Kindred

You would have to add the setting into the create user function (register.php, I think)

That value is not currently set at all in create user, if I recall correctly so, additional code would have to be added to set that field.
Слaва
Украинi

Grej

Ok I just opened up register.php.

What code do I need to change the default setting from instantly to daily?

Kindred

I don't know, specifically... I am not a developer.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: