News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Upsgradin to 2.x.x from 1.1.9: Landing page?

Started by Nodaz, September 13, 2014, 11:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nodaz

Been running 1.1.9 for quite a while and am going ot upgrade to the latest version, but the current forum resides within the public_html folder.  I was THINKING about adding a forum folder with that installing the new version there and having a landing page in public_html with a link to the forum.
Used to be something around called tiny portal..still an option?  newer better options?
questions, currently the forum top of google for some terms that are specific to the subject of the forum, how or will changing the location of the forum, into a sub folder affect that? Will search engines adjust for that?
same with searches that result in direct links to specific threads in the forum...since it would change form thisismyfoum.com/thread#etc etc to thisismyfoum.com/forum/thread#etc etc
if that makes sense
Thanks for the insight

Mstcool

Well,  search engines will need to crawl for it to be adjusted.

Also,  tiny portal is a portal (a modification) made for SMF.  I have heard of it,  but I am not sure if it still exists or not.  But you can check on the modification site.  And I doubt direct links will come into play here.  So yes,  changing the location of the forum will affect it. But if the top location is a link to the homepage (domain. Com and not domain. Com/subdomain) then that will stay. But when people click on the current top link,  it'll send em to domain. Com,  not domain. Com/forum. So I believe the link will stay there but it wouldn't send y'all to the forum. Unless you set up a redirection,  but the will won't allow you to have an external homepage then.  :P

Arantor

TinyPortal is still around but most users these days prefer SimplePortal.

Nodaz

thanks for the replies. i Googled simple portal and it took me to a page, that,looks pretty simplistic and honesty, kind of cheesy.l Is there someplace( ill ook on simpleprotal when i have a bot more time) that can show me the extend of what can be accomplished with simple portal, and perhaps examples?

Arantor

Lots of users are using SimplePortal, but I'm honestly not sure what can be done in TinyPortal that can't be done in SimplePortal.

It might be better if we had some idea of the site you're trying to migrate and what its requirements are. TinyPortal *is* still available after all and it may be that it would suit your needs better to stay with it. But hard to know what the right tool for the job is without knowing what the job is...

Mstcool

Quote from: Nodaz on September 16, 2014, 07:34:40 PM
thanks for the replies. i Googled simple portal and it took me to a page, that,looks pretty simplistic and honesty, kind of cheesy.l Is there someplace( ill ook on simpleprotal when i have a bot more time) that can show me the extend of what can be accomplished with simple portal, and perhaps examples?

Simpleportal.net

They are (obviously) using their portal on their own site. Many examples are being shown there as they are being used. :P

Kindred

I am using EZportal on 40konline.com ---   but anything that can be done with one of the portals can be done with the others...   so, you could do something similar to that..
Alternatively, askawitchcommunity.org is running a less customized variation of the layout.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: