News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[help] Private messages are not sent to emails - notifiaction issue

Started by pocttopus, September 14, 2014, 06:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocttopus

Hello folks,

No one of our forum does not receives the email messages. Neither one private message is not sent to email.
What could be the issue and how we can solve this out? Our forum is using version 2.0.8.

Thanks

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pocttopus

This does not helped... it is only a notification than can be used for receiving private message.
Our forum used this notifications... but suddenly it stoped... I don't know why.

Kindred

well, that's not what you said originally...

As for why...   ask your host?
If you are using GoDaddy, that's probably the issue right there.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pocttopus

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

pocttopus

ok... we will check if there is some issue with the host and i will inform you.

Thanks

pocttopus

I also forget to mention that I had installed smf 2.0.8 locally on my computer (using XAMPP) and again I am not receiving email notifications... I don't know is this a useful information, but the main problem still exists on our forum online. :(

Night09

If your set up locally did you set up a mail system too ? Without one you wont get any mail unless you set it to use another provider like gmail or yahoo. The setting PHP will use an internal mail system if there and the setting SMTP will allow you to enter a mail providers details so you can send mail.

pocttopus

yes... I set them correctly.
but the main problem is on the forum online... not locally... I don't mind if I am having issues locally.

I (we) just want to enable the option of notifications on our forum... :(

Night09

Notifications rely on the email system to be sent. Does your mail system work to send anything like registration confirmations or newsletters ect?

Do you use PHP or SMTP and if so who is the provider? If its Gmail you need to allow less secure apps to access the mail in your gmail control panel settings or no mail will be sent. It should give you a warning of login attempts if this is the case.

pocttopus

Quote from: Night09 on September 17, 2014, 07:08:53 AM
Notifications rely on the email system to be sent. Does your mail system work to send anything like registration confirmations or newsletters ect?

Do you use PHP or SMTP and if so who is the provider? If its Gmail you need to allow less secure apps to access the mail in your gmail control panel settings or no mail will be sent. It should give you a warning of login attempts if this is the case.

Quote from: pocttopus on September 14, 2014, 09:05:35 AM
Our forum used this notifications... but suddenly it stoped... I don't know why.
this is already mention...  ::)

Kindred

well, pocttopus,you seem to have scattered your issue comments across multiple threads...

and he didn't ask if it had once worked...    he asked is the OTHER notifications and emails get sent out form the forum.

1- PM notifications
2- notifications of new posts in flagged threads
3- notifications to admins of new members
4- posts waiting for approval notifications to moderators
5- newsletter emails from the forum
6- direct emails to individual users (if the email address for users is hidden - the forum uses an internal form to send the email without revealing the send-to address)

So... there are at leats 6 cases where the forum COULD be sending emails.
Are *ANY* of them working?
Слaва
Украинi

pocttopus

no... not at all... the forum does NOT sent any kind of notifications!!!
these options used to work earlier... but suddenly stoped!

I had to write to other threads just to take your attention... maybe it's time to re-test the code... I don't think that all of us are having issues with the hosting's.  ???

Illori

have you asked your host for the configuration for email you should be using? have you asked your host if they have any issues with the email server?

Kindred

1- do not spam other people's topics... especially since your issue appears to be different from many of the others AND no one was ignoring this topic in the first place.

2- If nothing at all is being sent, and it used to -- then it is most certainly a host-side issue... because - if you changed nothing and it just stopped working, then your server host or your SMTP host MUST HAVE changed something.

If some messages were being sent and some were not, THEN it MIGHT BE an SMF issue...  in this case, it is almost certainly not.
Слaва
Украинi

pocttopus

the problem is now SOLVED and the issue was NOT on a host side... it was from yahoo!!!

our smtp mail was from yahoo domain and automatically yahoo deleted all messages which used to be sent as notifications... I really don't know why but when we changed the mail address with other domain now everything is fine.

Kindred

As I said in the other thread....   that information (the fact that you were using SMTP via Yahoo) would have been useful much sooner. we could have solved the issue in 20 seconds...

It has been known for over a month that Yahoo had stopped accepting connections to their mail service from external sources. It's actually been mentioned in nearly a dozen threads...
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: