News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How use SMF with Wordpress?

Started by Ramesh8248, September 14, 2014, 01:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramesh8248

I want to use my forum with my WordPress blog. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
FREE SEO HELP [nofollow]
SEO FORUM [nofollow]

Kindred

short answer...  don't bother.

medium answer... it's not easy and would involve a number of edits and finding a bridge - not sure if there are any working bridges out there at the moment
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

terminator5

I'd love to do it too, my website is in Wordpress, and it would be awesome to use SMF. Maybe a good idea for a plugin-developper  8)

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on September 14, 2014, 01:37:21 PM
short answer...  don't bother.

medium answer... it's not easy and would involve a number of edits and finding a bridge - not sure if there are any working bridges out there at the moment
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

Get one of the blog mods for SMF. Much less work, better end result.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

TonyG

It's unfortunate that some folks are so biased about their preferred environment that they will discourage the use of others which are competent at what they do. In other words, ask about WordPress in a SMF forum and it should be no surprise that people are going to tell you not to use WP. And ask about SMF in the WordPress forums and you'll get a similar sentiment against SMF. People are people...

There are at least three kinds of SMF/WP sites.

1) You login to one and you're logged-in to the other.
Unfortunately I don't think there are any good mods for this, though there have been a few attempts over time. Off the top of my head it's probably better to see if you can get a common third-party authenticator for both environments. So for example, if you use OpenID or Google to login to both environments then you'll be able to fluidly move between them with a single logon and with no real integration at all.

2) Taking #1 a step further, there is currently no way (or no good way) to exchange data between these environment. WordPress can't display your forum post count, and SMF doesn't get notified of your blog updates. But again, it's possible for someone to write software that will use a middle tier to bridge such lack of integration.

3) You could have the environments co-exist, completely unaware of one another. I've been doing this for years. Just install SMF to /site/forum and WP to /site/blog (or /site/cms) and they should never interfere with one another. Depending on finite details you could have an .htaccess file or others that cause some sort of conflict. While some people might guarantee this to be the case, I have never experienced this - YMMV.

HTH

joeyjojoshabadoo

gents and ladies i have wordpress installed on my server

then i have the SMF forum folder INSIDE the wordpress folder (named forum). Putting the smf forum inside the wordpress folder was the only way i could get it to work

dropkickrugby.com and dropkickrugby.com/forum

The site went from very active on the wordpress site, to a very active forum and with work and that the wordpress site went fallow. im looking to port the smf members to smf now so they can write. We're number one on google for lots of terms.

anyway, hope that helps someone. I long for a bridge between these two.

djohns

This SMF-WP bridge was updated 01 Jan 2015, if anyone is interested.  Or, perhaps it's a new bridge with an old name.  I have not tried it, myself:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp2smfbridge/

margarett

I actually tried it in my localhost and it doesn't really seem to work :(
Although I just registered a user in WP's admin panel, not a "normal" registration...

This was actually the first time I installed WP :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

djohns

I'll try to give it a try during the next few weeks.  I installed WP once 7 years ago, so this will be interesting!

radu81

One of the most wanted plugin! Thanks for sharing this djohns!
sorry for my bad english

NewCo

Quote from: radu81 on January 12, 2015, 11:10:23 AM
One of the most wanted plugin! Thanks for sharing this djohns!

when you creating a user into WordPress the user creating into SMF with email address or without it?

Advertisement: