News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Won't Login Until 3rd Attempt Even Though I Know Password Is Correct

Started by 420SA, September 15, 2014, 03:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

420SA

Hi all

I'm experiencing an issue with my forum. This problem is occurring with me and I'm very worried it occurs with my members.

Sometimes when I try to login it tells me my password is incorrect, then I try again and a screen pops up with "You will need to wait to 2 seconds before trying to login". Then I try again and it will finally work. On some occasions it will work on the second attempt and on a few rare occasions it will work on the first attempt. Does anyone know of this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Justyne

Are you sure the problem is not mistyping the password? Must admit this issue is news to me otherwise.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

420SA

Quote from: Justyne on September 15, 2014, 03:03:36 AM
Are you sure the problem is not mistyping the password? Must admit this issue is news to me otherwise.

The password is saved on my browser....

Other occasions where I have entered manually I get the same thing... Definitely not entering it wrong

420SA

My SSI.php file is 2.0.4 and not the latest 2.0.7. Could that have anything to do with it?

Justyne

SSI doesn't handle login, so I would be very surprised if it did.

Are you on a 2.0.8 ?
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

420SA

Quote from: Justyne on September 15, 2014, 03:18:39 AM
SSI doesn't handle login, so I would be very surprised if it did.

Are you on a 2.0.8 ?

Yes I am. Installed the forum just under a month ago now.

Arantor

Sounds to me like the flood control is acting up, as though something from your IP address (or one very close to it) is hammering away trying to break in.

420SA

Quote from: Arantor on September 15, 2014, 03:42:01 AM
Sounds to me like the flood control is acting up, as though something from your IP address (or one very close to it) is hammering away trying to break in.

Wow so what do I do about that. Just put up with it?

Night09

Check the error logs for invalid login attempts, bots can use exisiting usernames to try brute force the passwords. If you do identify any ban the IP's.

420SA

Quote from: Night09 on September 15, 2014, 04:21:47 AM
Check the error logs for invalid login attempts, bots can use exisiting usernames to try brute force the passwords. If you do identify any ban the IP's.

Thank you. I cleared my error log earlier for that very reason. Will keep an eye on the log now.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: