Mod to allow setting of default Message Icons.

Started by richwig83, September 15, 2014, 04:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richwig83

It would be useful (to us at least), if you could in the "Modify Boards" settings page, be able to select a default Message Icon for a particular board.

For example.... a "for sale" board, could be set to  automatically default the Message Icon to a custom "FS" icon that we have made.

Thanks

Rich

radu81

sorry for my bad english

richwig83

Quote from: radu81 on September 15, 2014, 04:53:55 AM
I don't know if I understand well, but this could be useful to you?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=511

Those are custom board icons... rather than message icons.

Steve

1. Add a smiley set (even a duplicate of one you have now), replace the xx.gif icon with the one you created but make sure it has the same filename.

2. Set the board's theme to the one you want (duplicate the board default if you want the same theme as the rest of the board), and then select the smiley set in step 1 in that theme's settings.

That should work by my thinking. There may be an easier way but if so, I don't know it because I'm not a coder.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

why would you need to involved a smiley set at all?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Because otherwise all the boards would default to their FS icon right?

Kindred

well, since the message icons are determined by theme -- if you are setting an individual theme per board, you can upload the xx.gif icon to be whatever you want for that theme. no need to involve smileys at all (which would likely have some other consequences if you did that)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

richwig83

I want the xx.gif to be the global defaut as it is now.

But.... I want my fs.gif as the default for 4 specific "forsale" boards.

Kindred

well, it's a moderately annoying work-around... but you can do something like what I describe above.

create a duplicate of your site's main theme.
change the xx.gif in that theme to be your desired image
set that new theme to be enforced for the for-sale board.
Слaва
Украинi

richwig83

Ahhh yes i get you now... and yes that is a bit of a "sledgehammer" solution, but i guess it would work!

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2014, 09:11:07 AM
well, since the message icons are determined by theme -- if you are setting an individual theme per board, you can upload the xx.gif icon to be whatever you want for that theme. no need to involve smileys at all (which would likely have some other consequences if you did that)

I did not know that. I learned something new. :D

richwig83

Would be nice just to have a "per board" option for this though, instead of this work around. I am surprised theres not a mod for it....

Steve

The closest I see is this one:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3216

Looks like you could make that do what you want but it would still entail replacing an existing one.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I agree with Steve. That the closest one. But IMO maybe there is no need to replace the current gif. Simply add a new icon and name it xx1.gif, xx2.gif, xx3.gif etc. Make the preferred one available in the specific board that you wanted while you hide the others.

Note: I haven't tried this and may be wrong.

richwig83

Quote from: ahrasis on September 16, 2014, 05:30:50 AM
I agree with Steve. That the closest one. But IMO maybe there is no need to replace the current gif. Simply add a new icon and name it xx1.gif, xx2.gif, xx3.gif etc. Make the preferred one available in the specific board that you wanted while you hide the others.

Note: I haven't try this and may be wrong.

Adding a new message icon is the easy bit. Getting it to set a default in a specific board is the issue.

Steve

I just checked and that's pretty easy actually. Kindred got me on track on here.

Add the icon you want to the theme you're going to use for your For Sale board(s).

Go to Admin -> Smileys and Message Icons -> Edit Message Icons

Type in the filename of your smiley and then set it as the first icon in the last box. Make it available only for the boards you want it for.

The first one should always be the default one, yes?

Illori

nope, when you go to make a new topic it still defaults to the standard message icon.

Steve

I just found that out. I should have tested before I posted, not after. :(

So what tells the software to default to the standard one? Surely that's changeable?

richwig83

Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2014, 08:22:26 AM
I just checked and that's pretty easy actually. Kindred got me on track on here.

Add the icon you want to the theme you're going to use for your For Sale board(s).

Go to Admin -> Smileys and Message Icons -> Edit Message Icons

Type in the filename of your smiley and then set it as the first icon in the last box. Make it available only for the boards you want it for.

The first one should always be the default one, yes?

Still doesnt "auto select" the icon i want though...

Steve

Yea, that's what Illori just said and I verified. Looks like it's going to have to be Kindred's method:

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2014, 10:28:13 AM
well, it's a moderately annoying work-around... but you can do something like what I describe above.

create a duplicate of your site's main theme.
change the xx.gif in that theme to be your desired image
set that new theme to be enforced for the for-sale board.

Did you hide xx.gif from the board that you want to use xx1.gif?

richwig83

Steve

I didn't see a way to do that either. Just with smileys.

Sorry for not being clear. IMO you can choose which board you want any gif to appear OR not to appear. This includes the default xx.gif.

Administration Center » Forum » Smileys and Message Icons » Edit Message Icons.

Filename: xx.gif
Board: Untick Available In All Boards and tick only the board you want it to be used.

Similarly set xx1.gif (or any other .gif) at the board you wish it to be used.

Have you tested / tried this?

Steve

Yep. I uploaded a 'add.gif', made it available in only one board, selected it as the first icon, and went to that board. The xx.gif was still the default.

As you can see, the xx.gif isn't even one you can modify (other than replacing it):

Have you disabled / unticked xx.gif from that board? See the red marks in the attached picture.

Reading it again, I think you have done it correctly but the mod still displays the current icon as xx.gif. This could be the mod bug as stated by its author in its support page. It should not be displaying xx.gif as first icon if it is unchecked from selected board or totally removed from all boards thus will be removed from the list of icons. As I have also tested this, I can say that it has failed to do so.

Reading from the mod description it should be removing xx.gif as well from unselected / unticked board(s) and current icon should be the one that the user opted. But unfortunately, it doesn't.

So sorry for this. Hopefully a new mod or and update / fix to the said mod can meet your request.

Rain Forest

Interesting topic. Hopefully there will be a 'fix' or a mod coming by to update it. :)

Advertisement: