On Install instructions, pointing browser

Started by Goldengirl71, September 15, 2014, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengirl71

This part of the instructions on installing once I have uploaded to File Manager on server:

Run the installer

This is nearly the last step. You know where your forum directory is, because you put the files there yourself. So, point your browser at the file install.php in that directory. For example, if you put your forum in (I can't post links wouldn't let me, but the links it tells me in your instructions)

First, I think I have downloaded correctly, and then used Filezilla to upload to File Manager.  Everything looks fine, although the name of my Simple Machines package was a little confusing, but I think it is "package" right?  I'm so new to this, and what I did know in the past, well, it's been too long, I have to re-learn;)

I just uploaded to public the the h t m l, and I don't see a file named install dot php.   (attached).

I don't know what the "package" should have in it so I can't be sure it is all there.  I'm also attaching a snip of my "package" I downloaded to my C drive, and then a snip of how it looks in my File Manager.  Please let me know if I can give you more information to help.

My site is seniorsriot dot c o m , thanks again, Denise:) PS sorry I have the attachments out of order.  Oops, says I can't attach external links.  Ok, I'll post this and see if there is an upload for images on SM:)

kat

Firstly, try to forget File Manager. Stick with FTP. MUCH better. :)

Secondly, make sure Filezilla's "Transfer type", in the "Transfers" menu is set to "binary". The default, "Auto" tends to break things.

As for the actual install... Does this help?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_installing_SMF

Kindred

oh... I see.

you uploaded ONLY the "packages" directory.

This is incorrect... you must load ALL files AND directories from the full install archive.
then, the files in the root will include install.php, Settings.php and index.php (amongst others)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Goldengirl71

Hi K,

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, I did get Filezilla set to binary.  I think the directions you sent will help, it has pictures, LOL!!  Thank you again, but if need be, and I want to "uninstall" and "reinstall" if I have done it wrong, do I just uninstall "packages"?  That looks like the whole ball of wax, but wasn't sure about the name;)

Then, I chose the zip file to download from SMF the first time around, I understand those a bit better.  Ok, feedback welcome, and then I'll go give it another go;) Denise

Kindred

you should have chosen the full install archive file.

yes, you can delete the contents that you uploaded before, since they do not belong in the root directory.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Goldengirl71

Ok Kindred,

I see where I messed up, geesh, bigtime!!  Thank you soooooooo much.  Shall I just leave the zip I have uploaded to site, and add the other two "box icon" parts of the package?  Or, should I start fresh and do them all at once?

Also, I didn't quite understand what it means when K said to "skip" file manager and just use FTP (Filezilla)?  I am doing the "extract" on my laptop first, before I upload on Filezilla.  Is that what she meant?  Thanks all, you guys are wonderful, just to be here!!

Goldengirl71

Ok, don't upload to the public?  I can read again to find where, or you can tell me, lol??  Do I make a folder in File Manager for "forum", or I think it said something about the folders being created on download (extraction I think), but I don't know about upload;)?

Thanks again, I apologize if I am a pain;) I do try to do everything myself, but sometimes I am so guilty of missing things in my "reading the instructions" :o

Goldengirl71

LOL!!

Ok K;) I'll try not to, so far I am not, I feel I am in good hands here, Denise!! O:)

kat

If your site's going to be a forum and squat else, upload everything into public_html, if that's what you have.

What I'd do, myself, is dearchive everything on the computer, then upload the extracted files/directories.

Kindred

no worries.   We have no problem answering questions for people who are actually TRYING. :)

delete the files that you originally uploaded.
Either upload ALL of the files from the archive/ZIP to your site or upload the archive/ZIP and extract it there, using the site filemanager.

You can put it in the root (usually public_html, or something like that)
or you can put it in a subdirectory -- as long as ALL files and directories are added to the SAME location.

if you put it in a subdirectory, though, your site URL to access the forum would be yoursite.com/forum/index.php
Слaва
Украинi

Goldengirl71

Ok, both K, and Kindred,

I think I have it.  I'll keep you guys posted, lucky you, LOL!! Have a great day!  Yes, by the way, all my site will be is a forum;)  I'm so excited because this has been about 5 years in the making, well, decision to "just do it" LOL:)  I have so many "little" ideas to make my forum different then the rest of the senior forums.  I'll run them all by you guys, once I can get my Forum up.  I am hoping I don't have to do much customizing, other than adding a photo here and there, naming the "boards".

Thanks so much for your help this a.m., ok, off to follow your instructions now;) denise

kat

Pleasure! One thing, before you go... Look at my sig. Get it burnt into your brain.

If you don't, you WILL get a disaster, sometime.

Click the sig, for the "How". :)

Goldengirl71

On Backup??  Yes, that is going to be important for me to learn about, also, spam busting etc.  Another topic, I'll be back when it's time;) Denise

Goldengirl71

Has anyone had issues with the links in your "online manual".  I realize it could be my internet, although I don't have any problems with other links this a.m., or yesterday.  For example, when I click on install "step", it fills in on URL, but doesn't open, just empty page opens.  But if I go up and click at end of URL, and hit Enter, it opens.

Anyone?  Just makes me a little nervous if this site is having issues, will I have those on my site.  Please don't misunderstand, I know there are always glitches, and I don't expect perfection anywhere online;)  I just want to cover as much as I can, as I go, thanks again everyone, Denise

kat

The wiki's been a bit crap, today. If a page won't load, try refreshing a few times. I've had to do that, too, today. :(

Goldengirl71

Ok, nothing unusual, I notice on my own internet, just, normal slow-downs etc.  No worries, like I said earlier, I feel I am in good hands here;)

I just got "all" uploaded to my server, went perfectly on Filezilla.  Now on my server as smf file, I appreciate the "extra" help from the link you sent on install;)  Very helpful;)  Now onto "install.php" which is actually there this time since I did load the whole deal like it told me to in the first place, lol!  One thing that threw me was it said download .zip file, but I didn't realize that meant all 3 boxes (box icon files) doi!!  :laugh:

kat

You'll be surprised how much you learn, doing this stuff... :) You'll even surprise yourself by doing things that you didn't even know could be done!

'course, you're bound to find out that some of the things you thought could be done, can't. :(

One thing nooBs often don't know, for example, is that the net is case-sensitive. On Windoze, you can call a file CARROT.PHP or carrot.php and it'll treat them in the same way. On the net, they're totally different files. ;)

Carrot.php
CaRrOt.php
cArRoT.php

all are totally different files.

Same with URLs.

SMF.org isn't the same, say, as smf.org.

Goldengirl71

I did figure that out and just do all my files as simple as I can, and all, small letters.  Great to mention though, even now I find myself capitalizing something.

My host has 4 databases, I'm working on that part of the instructions now.  I believe the mysql is something that works with smf.  There's a wizard for Mysql and I was going to look at that.  I can't find where I originally read which databases smf works with, so could you correct me if I'm wrong?

See attached for what I have to choose from, maybe I am mistaken about databases, any corrections are welcome;) denise

kat

I doubt an existing one will work. When you run the install script, I believe it asks you if you want to create a database. That usually works. Or, you can go to MySQL databases and create one, there.

Make sure you include yourself as a user, if you do that (I often forget that).

Advertisement: