News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

On Install instructions, pointing browser

Started by Goldengirl71, September 15, 2014, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengirl71

I think I figured this out when I first woke up this a.m. Kindred.  If I want the file path to be right, for install.php "has" to be in the root folder so the path would be seniorsriot.com/install.php.  The way I have had it, there are two (now one) folders that would have to be included in the path like, seniorsriot.com/smf/install.php which just complicates the path, I think.  Anyway,  I am going to follow your instructions above, and wish me luck;) 

I really want to thank you for sticking with me on this;) Denise

PS I am confused as I look at all the Directory.  It is listed like this as you probably know:

Home Directory
Web Directory
Public FTP Root (public_ftp)
Document Root for:
    seniorsriot.com

So the install.php "has" to be in seniorsriot.com directory root if I am getting this? I'm going to try to do your steps now.

I DID IT!! I highlighted all the files under the smf_2-0-8_install folder, and moved them directly under public_html.  After the smf folder was empty, I deleted it.  Then I typed in seniorsriot.com/install.php and voila!  There is my SMF Installer page, lol, oh boy, now for more fun and games, hope this thread helps others:) Denise

PS MAKE THAT "WE DID IT" could not have done it without your help, all of you!

Goldengirl71

Ok, will do, haven't been doing anything, I think I have burn-out, lol!

I'll go click your sig, and follow the steps;)  There is soooooooooooooo much to do yet:(  but I am really pleased with the way things look.  But yes, I'll try the backup now so I know how to do that.  Thank you K, Denise O:)

Goldengirl71

Hi K,

I haven't a clue where to "backup" to?  I'll see if I can find something that tells me, but if you see this maybe you can fill me in.  I mean, I have backed things up on disks/cd's but I don't know if there are other ways now?

Thanks, Denise PS I just found info on Filezilla having a place to backup my site!  Does that sound good to you K?  Seems good to me since I love Mozilla Firefox, and Filezilla worked so well for me;) denise

kat

I backup to an empty directory on my hard disk. I'd rather have it, myself, than rely on someone else to look after it. ;)

Goldengirl71

I think so too, about having my backup, but what if my laptop croaks?  It's in good shape now, but almost 2 years old, who knows, none of us can be too sure how long our toys will last, lol;)

kat

My laptop stiffed, the other day. :(

I back mine up to my HD and I also backup to an external USB drive, too. If you do that, don't backup and copy the file to another drive. Take two backups. I've fallen for that, myself. :( The backup was corrupt and, obviously, so was the copy.

With the forum, itself, that's not so bad. You can rebuild that.

But... it was the database...

Goldengirl71

Oh geez, well, I can learn from that hey:)  Ok, will do K, I gotta be goin, gonna go read, and just get off this thing for awhile, thanks a bunch, you are fun to work with;) Denise

Advertisement: