News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Incorrect Password?

Started by bmpk5032, September 15, 2014, 03:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmpk5032

Hi there,

Just recently, a few of my forum users have come to me and said that they keep getting "Incorrect Password" when they try to login to the forum. At first I thought they were just being silly and typing their password incorrectly, so I manually set their forum account passwords to something incredibly simple (i.e., Temp1234) and told them to try logging in again and changing their password back manually afterward.

Much to my surprise, Temp1234 wasn't working for them, either. Only when they changed to a different web browser would it allow them to login. I went into my forum admin settings and cleared the cache (no clue if that would actually have anything to do with this at all), but it seems that they're still unable to login with even the most simplest of passwords that are impossible to incorrectly type. This isn't all users, either, just a select, random few.

Is this something on their end? Is there something I can do on my end to make sure that it's not my forum malfunctioning?

Any bit of help would be appreciated!

Ninja ZX-10RR

Maybe they are using some very old browser such as IE8 or something like that? Because if that happens only to a limited number of users (as you said) the problem is definitely on their end, or well, on browser's end. Tell them to upgrade to the latest versions of their browsers, change the password again and then retry, if that doesn't work then we can start to think about something else..
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

kat

There's a chance, too, that there's a corrupt cookie around. Try renaming it, in Server settings.

MIGHT help to empty the forum cache, too, in Forum Maintenance.

bmpk5032

Yeah, I figured the problem HAD to have been on their end because I went through just about everything I could think of on the forum's side and kept coming up with nothing. I will let them know to update their browsers for sure.

As far as changing the cookie, I can just edit that to be anything at all? Doesn't have to be a specific name to match any sort of forum setting?

Thanks for the replies :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: K@ on September 15, 2014, 03:19:34 PM
MIGHT help to empty the forum cache, too, in Forum Maintenance.
Quote from: bmpk5032 on September 15, 2014, 03:01:36 PM
I went into my forum admin settings and cleared the cache (no clue if that would actually have anything to do with this at all), but it seems that they're still unable to login with even the most simplest of passwords that are impossible to incorrectly type
You meant after renaming the cookie right? Because he said he already did clear the cache... ;)

EDIT:
After the last reply...
Lol only thing you can't just get rid of cookies though, you need them to stay logged in. The name is... Whatever you want it to be, methinks :P
Quote from: bmpk5032 on September 15, 2014, 03:21:23 PM
Thanks for the replies :)
You're welcome :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: