No responsive themes for smf?

Started by Goldengirl71, September 15, 2014, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengirl71

I just read somewhere that smf forums look "horrible" (their word) on mobile, so I am guessing (if that is true) there is not a way to make the forums "responsive"?  Oh I hope so, I just had my hopes up with SMF as the support is so nice on here, I mean friendly people wanting to help.  I know so little about these different types of forums/templates etc., just know what I like to see, and how I like them to work.

Can someone tell me if there are ways to customize the default template, or upload a template that is already responsive, for free that is.  I just can't afford to spend any more money right now, so I want to go basic, but just won't do a site that doesn't fit any size screen, or most of the popular sizes,

thanks to anyone that can help, Denise

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

There are several mobile optimized themes, along with a mod which will detect mobile devices and use the mobile theme for them.

There is also at least one responsive theme for 2.0.x

Although, I would not say that's the curve theme is "horrible" on mobile, since I use mobile to do most of my posting these days and, aside from some font size issues, have no issues viewing, reading or posting...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

radu81

It's not free, not responsive, but a mobile template : smf-media.com

I have it on my both websites in my sig
sorry for my bad english

Westwegoman

I also wouldn't say that SMF looks "horrible" on a mobile device. I happen to think that my forum looks just the same.

I don't think that I would want a mobile theme. I happen to like the fact that it looks the same when I am on my mobile device, but that is just me. To each their own. :)

Goldengirl71

I keep forgetting to check the box to "subscribe" to a thread:(  I didn't see an "auto-subscribe" in my settings, but I'll look again.

I will try to find that comment I saw, all I am really hoping for is that the forum can be viewed on most screens, in full I mean.  So responsive has been a "type" I wanted.  I'll look so at least get the mod that makes it doable on a mobile:)

Thank you all, and I am sorry I didn't realize I still had this topic going.  I'll go check my settings now for thread notifications;)

Would this be the category where I can ask for help in making a custom header, as well as changing the background color or my theme?  If not, where can I find info on that?  I'd appreciate any feedback;) Denise

Gwenwyfar

You can always just make an extra css file and add some changes to it, but that would require at least some basic understanding of css. If you think you can find classes using browser inspect tool and change their widths though, that could be everything you need. Or find someone to help you with that.

I'm making a mobile version for my forum, and besides some custom changes, it is mostly just "make x and y and z smaller". Most elements are already fine, its just a couple that are too big and don't let others resize.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Bloc

I am working on a free, responsive theme for SMF 2.0.x/2.1beta/Elkarte1.0..but its not ready yet. The SMF 2.0 version can be seen at http://www.blocthemes.net/demos/index.php though.

radu81

sorry for my bad english

Bloc

Quote from: radu81 on September 23, 2014, 02:21:51 PM
Congrats bloc, that's a great theme
Thanks. :) There has been a little update now, and there is also a variant in there: http://www.blocthemes.net/demos/index.php?theme=7;variant=dark

I won't the derail this topic any further - just wanted to show there are work being done on responsive themes outside of the team too. My thought is that a theme for mobile/tablets do not have to look like a typical "mobile theme" - but rather look like the same as its origin, only optimized for a smaller layout. (meaning different menu system, bigger hit areas for links and parts that are left out/hidden through css)

Antechinus

Quote from: blocthemes on September 23, 2014, 11:56:34 AM
I am working on a free, responsive theme for SMF 2.0.x/2.1beta/Elkarte1.0..but its not ready yet. The SMF 2.0 version can be seen at http://www.blocthemes.net/demos/index.php though.

Have you had a go at the Elk version yet? I'm just wondering how you found Elk for theming, if you've tried it.

Bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on September 23, 2014, 07:38:24 PM
Quote from: blocthemes on September 23, 2014, 11:56:34 AM

Have you had a go at the Elk version yet? I'm just wondering how you found Elk for theming, if you've tried it.
Only scratched the surface so far - but will work more the following days on it. Anything specific to look out for? :)

Antechinus

Just that some maniac might have stuck his hoof in the coding here and there, so God knows what it's like. :D

Advertisement: