News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Spammers getting into my SMF Forum

Started by loftus, September 15, 2014, 10:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loftus

I have a number of spammers (from Russia, China, parts of Europe, etc.) that defeat all my blocks on 2.0.8 and get into the forum.  They are able to register and post (usually Greek Text or Obscenities).  I spend a significant amount of time every day removing them, banning them and deleting their posts.

I have CAPTCHA working and a registrant  must answer 2 (out of 6 rotating) questions. 

I have repeat hackers that come in even after I've banned them.  When banning, I select all four "triggers", yet they continue to come back. 

Any suggestions?

Duane

JBlaze

Have a read of this article on the SMF Wiki. It will explain what you can do to help mitigate spammers.

Spam - my forum is flooded with spam, what can I do
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

mashby

I hate spammers as much as you. CAPTCHA is a rather reverse effect thing these days. I would just turn that off, but before you do that, what questions do you have in place? That is easily the biggest deterrent. If you have easy questions though, that makes getting in that much easier.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

Also, please do try to understand the difference between hackers and spammers.

The people, or bots, affecting you are spammers.

Hackers are something else, entirely.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

loftus

Gotcha.  Spammers not Hackers. 

Thank you for the advice and links.  I eliminated the CAPTCHA, retained the questions and added an email verification link.
The forum is located at http://www.loftusweb.com/smf if you want to see its spammer blocks in place. 

I will investigate some to the additional anti-spammer links (mods) you provided.

Thanks again.

Duane

Arantor

Two problems.

Firstly, the answers. Are you expecting numbers or words? Secondly... math questions in general are not a good defence against bots...

loftus

OK thanks again.  I'll change the q&a to eliminate math and try to come up with more questions.

I tried to install the mod you recommended (SFS_StopForumSpam.1.0.tar.gz) but guess I don't know how to do it once it's been downloaded. 

Kindred

Read the manual/wiki on the package manager.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

loftus

I see the problem on the package manager ... but not the solution.

Under Package Manager / Latest Packages I do not have any data.  The help icon says that I must be unable to connect to www.simplemachines.org - but I do... I think.  Here I am.

Any idea of why there are no "Latest Packages" listed?

Kindred

Well, first, that means that your server can not connect here.. Not your browser.

Second, though, that is not relevant to the upload of new packages...   Look at the bottom of the download page...   It gives you the option to upload the mod package from your computer.
Слaва
Украинi

loftus

I downloaded the "StopForumSpam" tar.gz then used cPanel to move it to the SMF/Packages section.  Then when I went to Package Manager the option appeared for me to install - which I did.  I then went into settings and enabled it.

Thank you for all you help and lets hope this helps.  For a while there they were coming into the "members" quicker than I could delete them. 

Duane

Chalky

You might want to change your registration settings to admin approval for a while  ;)

Kindred

just as a note - you do not have to upload the file via cpanel... SMF has a function to upload the file directly from your computer into SMF - and will then run the installer routine directly.
Слaва
Украинi

loftus

OK.

Server will not connect to SMF ... not browser.  I'll see if I can figure that one out. 

SMF will upload a mod file directly from computer without having to use cPanel.  I'll look for it at the bottom of the "download" page.

You have been great with your help.  Thank you.

Duane

Advertisement: