Mod Package Test Failed. Safe to install?

Started by Grej, September 16, 2014, 12:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grej

I was trying to install the view single post mod on a custom theme but I got a Test Failed message.

It's still giving me the option to install the mod but is it safe for me to install it even with the error? Will I get any security problems with my forum if I install it?

This is the error message it gave me.

Replace ./Themes/core/Display.template.php Test failed

Code Find    

<div class="smalltext">&#171; <strong>', !empty($message['counter']) ? $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $message['counter'] : '', ' ', $txt['on'], ':</strong> ', $message['time'], ' &#187;</div>

Code: (Replace)

<div class="smalltext">&#171; <b>', isset($context['sl-singlepost']) ? ($context['sl-singlepost'] == 0 ? $txt['topic-start'] : $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $context['sl-singlepost']) : ($message['counter'] == 0 ? '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?topic=' . $context['current_topic'] . '.' . $message['start'] . ';msg=' . $message['id'] . '">' . $txt['topic-start'] . '</a>' : '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?topic=' . $context['current_topic'] . '.' . $message['start'] . ';msg=' . $message['id'] . '">' . $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $message['counter'] . '</a>') ,':</b> ', $message['time'], ' &#187;</div>

Ninja ZX-10RR

You should ask in the mod support topic and attach the display template file too ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

Anyway, generally speaking, yes and no :P

It's not safe to install a mod when you have errors in "Sources" files or in template files for default theme. It's pretty much guaranteed to have issues in these cases.

For other themes, if there are errors then it's obvious that the mod functionality will not be available when using that theme. In these cases, you should either
1) install it nevertheless and then try to adapt the required code changes on the operations with errors
2) ask for help like Ninja points out.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Chalky

Here's the wiki article on what to do when you get errors in mod installation.  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation.  As has been said, manually making the edit that failed is the way to go.

However, and I should use a little devil smiley here, the edit that failed for you is the Core theme.  Most forums do not use the Core theme and mods are not required to install correctly on the Core theme, in many cases leaving it to the admin to make the manual edits.  So given that the *only* failed edits are to the Core theme, my "lazy workaround" questions would be: do you use the Core theme?  Do your members have access to the Core theme?  Do you care whether the Core theme has the functionality of this mod?  If all answers are a resounding "NO" then you can go ahead and install the mod anyway.  Job done :)

You should at some point learn how to deal with installation errors properly though, by making the edits, because this will come up again the more mods you install and depending what files the Package Manager fails to edit, ignoring errors could really break your forum.  Edits to the Core theme are just a special case.

Grej

My members do have access to the core theme, but the default theme is a custom theme.

Thanks for telling me that mods aren't required to install correctly on the core theme.

I guess since that's the only error I have,  I'll go ahead and install it, but I will make a post in the mod support topic.

Thanks guys.

Kindred

wait wait wait wait...

mods are not required to install cleanly into the core theme because the core theme is an alternate theme, additionally, most people don't use the core theme... they use default/curve...

HOWEVER... if core *IS* selectable by your users, then you MUST manually apply the mod changes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: