News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How do I prevent anyone seeing posts until they are logged in

Started by rottaj, September 16, 2014, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rottaj

Hi,

How do I prevent anyone seeing posts until they are logged in.

Thanks in advance.

JR

rottaj

I Think I found it Admin > Configuration > General > features and options untick: Allow guests to browse the forum

Kindred

you have two options -- neither one of them is actually a GOOD choice.

1- turn off guest browsing.   Guests will now need to log in in order to do ANYTHING on your site.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Features_and_Options

2- install one of the "show/don't read" or "registered only" mods.

both of them are bad choices, though...
1- search engines are guests. Therefore, if you prevent guests form borwsing, your site will never be cataloged in any search engines.
2- see #1 above. Also - by default SMF does not SHOW any action that a user can not COMPLETE. If they can't do it, they don't see it...   If you are "teasing" the user by showing board they can't enter or posts they can't read -- then MANY users (like me) will leave your site an never come back.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on September 16, 2014, 09:30:28 AMboth of them are bad choices, though...

Not if you have a private, invitation-only forum like mine. ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

still a bad choice, if you ever want google to catalog your site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: