News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 RC3 to 2.0.8

Started by index_love, September 16, 2014, 12:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index_love

Hi to everyone...

Well, I have one SMF 2.0 RC3 forum and I want to upgrade it to 2.0.8.

I don't want to lose entire forum (users, posts etc) with experiments so I made new SMF installation on subdomain where I can test everything.....main problem for me is procedure where/when I need to export/download database from SMF 2.0 RC3 and import it to SMF 2.0.8.

I was looking on the net for instructions how to do it but there were mainly results for topics like migrating from SMF to bb, creating backup of your forum etc...

So I would appreciate if someone can write down simple instructions for this procedure.....

This is very short question and I hope that someone can give me short but great answer....

Just to say that probably I will move forum on subdomain anyway so if anyone has any useful advice it would be great....

Thank you...

Arantor

There's no import procedure. Upgrades have always been done 'in place'.

Upgrading SMF

You grab the new files, dump them over the top of the old ones and run upgrade.php which will carry out the changes required; there's database changes too.

Also, note that your theme will require updates as it will not work properly.

index_love

Hi,

thank you for quick answer...

I forgot to say that main reason why I would like to create a fresh SMF 2.0.8 installation is that old forum is customized, couple of years ago, and there is no updates for many things, and current theme is outdated...

Because of that I thought that it would be easier to make new clean installation and "just" import database....

If you have some advice I would like to hear/read it....

Arantor

The upgrade will replace all your files - which means with the exception of your custom theme, it will all be reset to the standard files. In every practical respect it will be just like you'd imported it...

index_love

Sorry for asking noob questions but I'm still learning about forums background...

Ok, if I understand...you say that after update, all old mods, packages etc...will be deleted....and entire database will be preserved...

That's great info...

Heh...but I'm just curios...is even possible to do my first idea?

Arantor

Possible, sure. It will mean you will have to fix a whole bunch of things if you do it though. There was a reason I suggested doing as I did ;)

index_love

Quote from: Arantor on September 16, 2014, 01:25:40 PM
Possible, sure. It will mean you will have to fix a whole bunch of things if you do it though. There was a reason I suggested doing as I did ;)

I'm not questioning your advice because I see your reputation around here ;) ...I was just curious  :)

I'm sure that you understand my caution because if I'm going to do update, one wrong step and entire forum is gone...

So, when I'm doing update/upgrade...I need to do upgrades one by one....precisely...first I need to do update 2.0 RC 4, after that 2.0 RC 5 until I 2.0.8?..

Arantor

Which is why you take a backup of everything first ;)

No, with the upgrade package, it is a complete set of 2.0.8 files and 2.0.8 upgrade process, so you do that in one step.

If you were on 2.0.0 or higher, I'd be recommending the install-as-mod patches, but from the RCs, there's simply so much change it's not possible to build them as install-as-mod packages.

index_love

I have already done backup....on home directory etc...but I'm still nervous ;)

Now im confused :o

Just to be clear...should be update preformed directly from 2.0 RC3 to 2.0.8 or one by one?...

Just now realized that 2.0 RC3, RC4 and RC5 are all before 2.0.0?......omg.....my forum is out of date big time :-[

Arantor

Yup, your forum version was released in early 2010.

You're updating from before 2.0.0 to 2.0.8 - which means you make the jump directly to 2.0.8 with the 2.0.8 upgrade package.

Advertisement: