News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

On spam protection

Started by Goldengirl71, September 17, 2014, 01:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengirl71

I see your section on Mods, and I am overwhelmed with all you have to offer.  I'd like to ask what people here, find the most effective mods to add to their sites.  I am also overwhelmed in all that really, goes into a forum.  I really didn't expect it to be easy-street at all, it's just that I realize how much I don't know.  I will keep reading the info you have worked so hard to get out there for us already.  I guess in all honesty, I like the interaction with all of you that have helped me so far;)  I feel more secure talking to you here in the forums, then just reading the info.

Not that I think I can get away without reading what's been provided, I just like to stay in touch;)  So right now, the main thing, since I have done my first backup as K suggested;), now I want to get my forum as "spam proof" as possible, suggestions??  I do have the captcha goin on, as well as writing 3 question and answers for folks the first 3 times, they post.  See attached and feedback welcome on what I have checked or not, and numbers?  I wasn't sure on what to choose.

Denise at seniorsriot.com

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Goldengirl71

Ok, I'll read the links, can't believe the captcha is useless, but I trust your direction Kindred.  I guess it's about knowing the capabilities of the bots.  Anyway, I'll go read now;) thank you so much for the reply, I can now work on that;)  Hate to start on something before I hear from someone who's been there done that;) Denise

minico

Well, from what you say you have already done, you should be okay for the most part.  People that want to spam are going to spam.  That being said, what I have done on my forums is use the red star (I think it is staradmin) in the new member usergroup and I have put their name in red on the Who's Online list.  I leave the new member post count at 20 until it changes to a regular member.  This makes it easy for members, admins and mods to keep an eye on all the new members.  I have also requested that members report any spam or violations of the registration agreement to a moderator or admin.  Hope this helps

loftus

I had a big spammer problem.  I was getting hundreds of bogus registrations and bogus postings.  As stated, CAPTCHA was useless.  What helped was re-writing the questions (no math questions) and loading a mod "stopforumspam" and requiring an email link to authorize registration.  The email link is really professionally done by SMF.

Duane
8)

Goldengirl71

This helps, I appreciate learning about staradmin, although I don't fully understand how it works.  Is it in the links Kindred gave me?  I am now looking to ad "Bad Behavior" I wayyy like the sound of how that works.  I don't want to overkill with spam proofing, anything slowing my forum down, but maybe someone has feedback on exactly which mods they use for anti spam, and what is working at this point? 

I'll keep reading though, so many things sound good, but again, I don't want to download more then I really need.  Hope this makes sense;)  Thanks all, wish I could give reps on each of you that go out of your way to help.  I don't see a rep. option in the forum, maybe I missed it?? Denise;)

Goldengirl71

Quote from: loftus on September 17, 2014, 01:48:30 PM
I had a big spammer problem.  I was getting hundreds of bogus registrations and bogus postings.  As stated, CAPTCHA was useless.  What helped was re-writing the questions (no math questions) and loading a mod "stopforumspam" and requiring an email link to authorize registration.  The email link is really professionally done by SMF.

Duane
8)

Duane, thank you, this one sounds good, the "stopforumspam".  I take it that is in my mod list I'm going over now.  Here is the type of questions I have for example:

Ocean is to land, as clouds are to ____.  Answer: sky

Do you think that is a good one, or useless against bots.  I read what type to use, but hoping mine are ok;)

Goldengirl71

The links for the forum here are not coming up, not without me refreshing the page each time this morning?  Is that going to be the case on my forum, or does it have to do with your server?  I suspect the latter, I hope.  People get so dang cranky, especially seniors, LOLLLLLLLLLL!!

Anyway, on this for example, under Bad Behaviour Module:

Please copy the above master image to your site and adjust only the image link.  Let the bad bots come to Bad Behavior.

It doesn't tell me where to insert in the html.  I'm sorry but I just don't know coding, so I have to ask every detail. So do I enter the code under <head>, I suspect I do, just not sure;) Denise PS and thank you much!!

Kindred

yup, we are aware of the issue here...

As for spam protection, I use questions (feature), bad behavior + httpBL and Stop Spammer
httpBL connects to the honeypot project
stop spammer (and the other one called stop forum spam) connect to the stopforumspam database to compare usernames, emails and IP addresses against known spammers.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Goldengirl71

Ok, I think I'll go with those Kindred, I'm sorry I'm not clear on this forums issues, would that affect my forum, or is it my host that would cause that sort of issue?

Thank you again, Denise;)

Kindred

the issue with blank screens, or 500 error, is an issue with our server here.... nothing that will affect your site at all.

on the matter of SFS and honeypot, you do need to register on their sites to get an API code, which you plug in to the smf admin section for the mods...
Слaва
Украинi

Goldengirl71

Quote from: minico on September 17, 2014, 01:25:12 PM
Well, from what you say you have already done, you should be okay for the most part.  People that want to spam are going to spam.  That being said, what I have done on my forums is use the red star (I think it is staradmin) in the new member usergroup and I have put their name in red on the Who's Online list.  I leave the new member post count at 20 until it changes to a regular member.  This makes it easy for members, admins and mods to keep an eye on all the new members.  I have also requested that members report any spam or violations of the registration agreement to a moderator or admin.  Hope this helps

Hi Minico, is the "20 posts" for this one??

Post count under which users must pass verification to make a post (refer to attachment in post above)

One other question for you and that is, guests are only able to "read" the posts, I do want them able to do that.  I don't want them to be able to post at all until they join/register.  thanks, Denise

Goldengirl71

Quote from: Kindred on September 17, 2014, 02:19:11 PM
the issue with blank screens, or 500 error, is an issue with our server here.... nothing that will affect your site at all.

on the matter of SFS and honeypot, you do need to register on their sites to get an API code, which you plug in to the smf admin section for the mods...

Ok kindred, thanks for all the info.  You don't use that one though do you?  I have to go back and read more now, I didn't see the honeypot one.  I guess you know I am easily confused :o

Kindred

honeypot is httpBL (which was added as part of Bad Behavior)
Слaва
Украинi

Goldengirl71

Oh Lord, when it says "Download Mod" it means, say, both zip files if there are two, I automatically think there are two mods when there are two to download, even though it says "Download Mod".  Shall I just make a "Mod" file to keep them in, within my Site files, I must have to do that?  Maybe I am missing some directions on installing mods, bet I am.  I'll go look but any help welcome here, Denise

Kindred

download (to your computer)
Bad_Behavior_1.5.18.zip
from the page http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2502

then go to your site, go to admin, go to package manager

click the download tab in the package manager
at the bottom of the screen is an option to upload a mod package.
select the mod that you saved to your local computer

it uploads and asks if you want to install it/
say yes.
Слaва
Украинi

Goldengirl71

Now that's tellin it like it is, exactly what I need.  So I can do any other mods now as well;)  Thank you thank you!  Here I go!!  First, Bad Behaviour;) Denise

Chalky

I recommend Misc anti-spam mod. Simple but effective. Also you should set a number of questions from which users answer a selection. I have 10 possible questions from which two must be answered. This way they get a different combination of questions each time so it's harder for spammers to learn the answers. Questions specific to your forum content and that cannot be answered with a simple Google search work best.

Goldengirl71

I have my timezone set to America/Los Angeles in Admin > General, so do I need to do something else besides that, with this for example?  Before installing my BB I mean (see attachment).  I looked in .htaccess, and saw where I could enter code, but I didn't find the other .ini file yet?

Goldengirl71

Quote from: Chalky on September 17, 2014, 03:01:49 PM
I recommend Misc anti-spam mod. Simple but effective. Also you should set a number of questions from which users answer a selection. I have 10 possible questions from which two must be answered. This way they get a different combination of questions each time so it's harder for spammers to learn the answers. Questions specific to your forum content and that cannot be answered with a simple Google search work best.

This sounds smart, make them answer at least two, then, the variety for each login.  I know some will gripe, but oh well.  How many times would you have a new member have to pass that?  I have 3 on there now, but I am thinking more is better?  Thanks so much for your help Chalky!! Denise

Advertisement: