Admin generated award system

Started by B3aker, September 17, 2014, 06:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B3aker

I've been poking around here and Google for a while for an award system that will suit my forum. Basically, I run a gaming forum and I'm trying to engage members more in online gaming to facilitate community involvement. I found a few mods that are more towards post count awards but I'm looking for an award system that is assigned by an admin more-so. I got the idea from another gaming forum that is run on vBulletin. The awards are small graphic avatars that appear underneath the user's name in their posts and in their profile so I'm looking for something similar. I'm no good at explaining these things so if this doesn't make sense, I'll also put an example.

The big game on my forum now is Destiny. A lot of my members have it and we keep talking about playing games. I want to have official games where a few of us play together. After the game, I or another admin will award those specific members who participated the award that will appear either in their profile or underneath their username or both in a perfect world. I'd also use it to give other kinds of awards as well (like bringing people in or contests and stuff).

Hope I explained this clearly. Thanks for your help :)
PSX4Central Since 1999, quite possibly the oldest PlayStation Community on the net

Ninja ZX-10RR

Just answered another topic asking more or less the same thing... There is this one that does it: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=539
It needs some edits to the .xml file though, I have made them and since I can't read any license preventing the package to be redistributed I think I can actually attach it with the .xml fixed.
It will need another edit in display.php, but it's very easy to do from what I could see, and should work just fine.

Or either this one from Spuds (thanks to Kindred for pointing that out): https://github.com/Spuds/SMF-Member-Awards that should work as well but it's not an official mod.
:)

P.s. If I am wrong about redistributing feel free to remove the attachment. I couldn't find any reference to a license in there...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

attachment removed because - if there is no license, it defaults to the most restrictive, which disallows distribution.

\and the mod from spuds, USED to be here - but he moved all of his mods to GitHub and hence no longer qualifies to have it listed here (since support ust be provided here for mods listed here)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Got it. Sorry then. I guess I can't even post the .xml file right? :( *feels unable to help completely*
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

B3aker

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on September 17, 2014, 07:24:17 PM
Or either this one from Spuds (thanks to Kindred for pointing that out): https://github.com/Spuds/SMF-Member-Awards that should work as well but it's not an official mod.
:)

P.s. If I am wrong about redistributing feel free to remove the attachment. I couldn't find any reference to a license in there...

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you. But I've never used GitHub before. What would be the procedure to get it from GitHub to my forum?
PSX4Central Since 1999, quite possibly the oldest PlayStation Community on the net

Kindred

Download the. Do package, like any other mod, to your computer and then - in the package manager in smf admin, upload the mod and install it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Can I disagree? *USUALLY* if you download mods from GitHub (including this one, just tested it) you need to unpack them and zip them again getting rid of the internal main folder.
For example the package is called "A" and contains folder "B" which contains all the stuff, you need to get rid of folder "B" and put all the files in the main directory "A" otherwise it will tell you that the mod is corrupt or incompatible whatsoever. :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

depends on whether the mod author has configured GitHub to generate the zip package correctly.
Слaва
Украинi

Ninja ZX-10RR

I couldn't find not even a single working mod from GitHub without having to unzip and re-zip though :/ so just so you know B3aker.. Most of the times you will have to do that, probably.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

B3aker

Got it installed. Thanks guys. Just a shame the support thread no longer exists cause I ran into a couple problems with it :/ What's worse is this is the exact award system I needed.

EDIT: Take that back. Playing around with it I figured a couple of the issues out. Though I'm not a programmer and I won't be able to figure out the PHP error I get when I try to delete an award, lol. But worst case scenario, I live with it and have massive amounts of awards.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Tell me what the error is, I *MIGHT* be able to get you in touch with the author, please provide me ALL the details though.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

report issues on his GitHub repository....   that will get back to him right away
Слaва
Украинi

B3aker

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on September 20, 2014, 03:48:08 PM
Tell me what the error is, I *MIGHT* be able to get you in touch with the author, please provide me ALL the details though.

Sure. When I go to Main and then hover over the circle with the white line through it to delete an award, I get this.

QuoteFatal error: Call to undefined function AwardLoadFiles() in /home/content/79/11133879/html/community/Sources/AwardsAdmin.php on line 410

Ah. Fatal errors take me back to when I converted my forum from vBulletin to SMF :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Give it a try on GitHub, if he doesn't answer I will make sure he will notice it since I could have indirect  contact with him ;) if you don't get an answer within a few days post again :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: