News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Problem with personal messages

Started by DarkAngel612, September 18, 2014, 02:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

When you have a pm there is an indicator telling you that you have "x" unread messages.

What to do when the indicator insists there is 1 message for you to read but in reality there are no pm's in your account.

I had the member :
delete cookies for site delete cache delete the bookmark log out quit browser restart computer --- to really make sure it is out of its system

I went into admin and did the usual maintenance stuff back there, went to database and saw where his account indeed claimed to have a message waiting his attention so set that to 0 plus cleared all the sessions.

His account still says he has an unread message but nothing in pm area at all.

Would it help to change the cookie information in admin, right now it says: SMFCookie11 is its name

settings are in the image and I have not had him try to flush the dns settings in his computer yet.
Ideas on what to do?
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

HDB

Try going to...  Administration Center » Forum Maintenance » Routine

Then run the "Recount all forum totals and statistics"

DarkAngel612

Quote from: HDB on September 18, 2014, 02:24:31 AM
Try going to...  Administration Center » Forum Maintenance » Routine

Then run the "Recount all forum totals and statistics"

I will and then report back with what he has to say...hope it works
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

DarkAngel612

ok, he finaly came back on and said it was gone. Ten he got 2 pm's, deleted them both after reading them and it is again showing there is 1 unread message.

That 1 just likes him and does not wish to leave his account.

Any other ideas?

kat

Your "Cookies and sessions" settings. You don't seem to have either of...

Enable local storage of cookies
(SSI won't work well with this on.)

Use subdomain independent cookies
(turn off local cookies first!)

...checked.

Try checking the second one, if that's the case.

Dunno if it'll fix your hassles, though. It might do, as I tend to lean towards him having cookie hassles.

Arantor

It's not cookie related at all.

It's actually a bug in SMF we've never been able to properly nail down.

Meantime re-run the maintenance option.

kat

Bugger. Oh, well. I still think one of those options ought to be selected, even so. :)

DarkAngel612

Quote from: K@ on September 18, 2014, 08:33:13 AM
Your "Cookies and sessions" settings. You don't seem to have either of...

Enable local storage of cookies
(SSI won't work well with this on.)

Use subdomain independent cookies
(turn off local cookies first!)

...checked.

Try checking the second one, if that's the case.

Dunno if it'll fix your hassles, though. It might do, as I tend to lean towards him having cookie hassles.

Actually the second one was selected and I turned it off to check and see, he has not been on yet today to let me know.

Quote from: Arantor on September 18, 2014, 08:36:03 AM
It's not cookie related at all.

It's actually a bug in SMF we've never been able to properly nail down.

Meantime re-run the maintenance option.

OK, I will just go in there and run it once a week then...LOL I know one of my own sites did this way back in both 1.++ and 2.0 when it  started out but it did it for a little while then stopped, with more than 1 memeber. I got rid of the database sessions that time and the problem helped in 1.++ versions and the 2.0 version it went away on its own.

Tis is the first time it has done it to just one member...so was stumped.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate the two of you.

kat

Always a pleasure! :)

Keep us informed woncha?

DarkAngel612

well still just one member thus far and he says that no it is not showing 1 unread message anymore.....it now says 2

LOL gotta love them gremlins.

link to site is http://pfdlives.com/index.php

I have a test account there too if anyone wants to go take a looksee other than source code.

kat

Is it just this one member that's getting this? If so, I have to suspect his cookies/cache.

What if he uses a different browser? Come to that, what about if he changes theme?

DarkAngel612

Just the one member, all themes and he has deleted cache, history, bookmarks and cookies even going so far as to quitting the browser (both of them) and restarting computer ta boot.

I just doens't like him for some reason.

I went so far this time to not only got to the database and delete all sessions, I also went into the personal messages table and got rid of all hi id messages (he had them all deleted from his account anyway, no saved ones) > went into his member id and found where it said the total of his unread messages and set that to 0 also.

Am hoping that helps. I also went into admin again and hit find/repair > recount totals and stats > empty unimportant logs > empty file cache too.

When he comes on later today...he keeps normal people hours not vampire hours like me...LOL I will find out if that made it go away.

Arantor

> all themes and he has deleted cache, history, bookmarks and cookies

> delete all sessions

None of these would have made *ANY* difference.

The unread PM count is stored in the members table in his database entry. None of the above would change any of that.

Does the user have any rules in his PM area for sorting PMs into things?

DarkAngel612

no arantor he is very simple in his pms, he gets them, reads them, deletes them so he does not even have any saved.

I did go to the database and got rid of everything -- again...so hopefully he will not have this issue anymore. It just suddenly appeared and won't go away.

I will let you both know later when he comes back on , right now I am going to bed finally.

Thanks

Advertisement: