News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How do I "move" my forum?

Started by Ron., September 18, 2014, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

It's been months since I looked at repair_settings :P Of course it might be helped if I had *ever* used it. I'm always doing this stuff by hand because it's just quicker for me that way...

margarett

Yeah but what bugs me is that the same file that works in my computer doesn't work on his...
And for that I have no explanation... I mean, with magic_quotes out of the equation, it's just plain php, isn't it?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

Magic quotes should be out of the equation regardless; it's supposed to not have to worry about that anyway since with 5.3 it's deprecated and with 5.4 it's removed.

Of course if you're still running stripslashes anyway...?

Ron.

Some progress. Repair_settings approved of double back slashes \\. It took the extra one out.

Still can't get to the site. (I get "service not available" message.)

As for where "repair_settings.php" came from, I have no idea. I used this software years ago when I first set up the forum and have not had to look at the code or files since then. I just assumed that because there was a copy of "repair_settings.php"  sitting in the folder that it was part of the original install.

I have no idea what to do next to get things functioning.

margarett

Arantor, I'm running stripslashes IF magic_quotes exists AND is enabled ;)
Which, from his phpinfo, isn't. Although next step is to remove that part exactly...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ron.

I am still trying to rebuild the site. I exported and re-imported the DB, but I still get "service not available" messages.

These messages appear in repair_settings:

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Permission denied in D:\Hosting\6121977\html\repair_settings.php on line 700

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:\Hosting\6121977\html\repair_settings.php on line 708

Settings.php cannot be written to by your webserver. Please modify the permissions on this file to allow write access.

Any ideas?

margarett

Are you still having the issues with the missing backslashes?

As for that error, you need to enable Settings.php to be written.

Ron.

No, the backslashes are fine. I doubled them and repair_settings seems happy with that. But what about the other errors it's reporting--and where is "service not available" coming from?

Ron.

Update: The forum is up, but everything is messed up. For example, pathways to themes are wrong, but when I correct them, everything crashes and I have to spend another hour with the host support people to get the site accessible again.

I am beginning to think that my only solution is to start a new forum from scratch, but I have 5-6 years of discussions and attachments that would be lost.

I'll start a new thread if I go that route and run into problems.

Right now, I want to thank everyone for their efforts to help me out.

Kindred

you do not need to start from scratch...

When you work with your host support, what do they correct your theme directories to be in order to get things working? Why do you need to change them again, after that?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I'd also be inclined to just use / instead of \ or \\ in paths, that works just as well even on Windows.

margarett

I just don't get what's wrong with repair_settings :(

The problem is that you fix the issues in Settings.php but the themes's paths are still wrong and those are still in the database. If you fix them from your ACP it should be ok. Unless whatever is messing with repair_settings also messes with SMF's own code for fixing those paths...

I would suggest you to follow Arantor's suggestion. Use repair_settings again and manually write FRONT slashes in all place it suggests a backslash...

Arantor

And also do that in the theme configuration area.

Ron.

The trouble is, when I corrected the paths in the theme config area, the forum could no longer be reached. So, I am extremely reluctant to touch anything right now.

BTW, the forum heading says it is SMF version 1.1.13. I know that has to be wrong because I always kept up to date.

If you want to see for yourself, the site is www.composeforums.com. It looks a mess right now with icons and themes all missing.

Another possibility: upgrade, even though I have done that in the past?

Arantor

This is a very strange thing going on here.

I see what looks suspiciously like a 1.1.x theme applied to a 2.0 code base (and the footer says 2.0.7 so that's what it is), but I'm seeing the images and whatnot show up...

Illori

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://www.composeforums.com/Themes/default/script.js?fin11"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.composeforums.com/Themes/classic/style.css?fin11" />

looks like the classic theme is being used instead of a 2.0 theme. maybe changing the default theme to "default" curve would help? maybe some of the files that are part of curve are missing and causing further issues?

Arantor

Classic YaBBSE was once ported to 2.0 but in this case it looks like the 1.1 version was used instead, as per missing language strings and some other stuff.

Ron.

Any advice on how to correct this? I am really perplexed because the forum was stable for years, then suddenly everything went weird last Wednesday morning when users could no longer log in--including me. There is only one person other than myself with admin privileges and he never touched anything either. I am starting to think that GoDaddy's attempts to help have messed things up even more. There does seem to be wrong versions of files appearing, etc.

Illori

do you know what godaddy did to try to help?

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on September 22, 2014, 01:20:42 PM
When you work with your host support, what do they correct your theme directories to be in order to get things working? Why do you need to change them again, after that?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: